This recipe originally comes from Piedmont in Italy and literally means something close to ‘hot bath’ or hot sauce. Think of it as a fondue: this sauce can be placed in the middle of the table in a ceramic bowl with a flame under it to keep it warm.
Bagna Cauda Dipping Sauce
I also like to serve it cold as a surprising appetizer dipping sauce. Add whatever raw, blanched or boiled vegetables you like: carrots, cauliflower, green beans, radishes, celery stalks, mushrooms, fennel, tomatoes, boiled potatoes… because vegetables are a great match for this salty dip! Enjoy this southern delicacy!
Love canned anchovies? Then also check out another appetizer bite: my caramelized onion pizza with anchovies and black olives, a classic French pissaladiere!
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 15 canned anchovy fillets in oil
- 1 medium garlic bulb
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Don't peel the garlic bulb or tear it apart. Leave it in one piece but chop off the tops using a sharp knife. Don't exaggerate, this will only make it easier to squeeze the soft cloves out later. Place the garlic bulb on a piece of tinfoil and sprinkle with a little olive oil, pepper and salt.
- Then wrap the garlic bulb up entirely and place it on an oven rack in a preheated oven at 400 F° (200°C) for 30 minutes until the cloves are soft and mushy. Remove the garlic bulb from the oven and put it aside until cooled down fully.
- In the meantime add the butter to a small saucepan and place it over medium heat until the butter has melted.
Then add the anchovy fillets and a little dash of pepper.
- Stir well and let the anchovy melt gently for a couple of minutes. Squeeze the soft garlic out of their pockets and add them to the anchovy butter as well.
- Stir well and take the pan off the heat. Pour the buttery mixture in a clean blender.
- Pulse into a fine mixture. Then gradually add the olive oil until the mixture starts to thicken nicely. It shouldn't be too runny.
- Pour the anchovy dipping sauce in a clean bowl and serve at room temperature accompanied by some vegetables of your choice.