Croquetas de Jamon
Believe me: this recipe is so easy to make. You basically prepare a thick béchamel sauce with sautéed onions, garlic and ham in it. Nothing more to it. Let the ham filling chill and set in the fridge, cut it up, bread the croquettes and fry them in hot oil. Super creamy treat! Serve them as an appetizer or even for lunch.
Love Spanish croquetas? Then also check out my homemade salt cod croquetas!
- 4,5 oz serrano ham (125 g)
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk (320 ml)
- 1,5 oz unsalted butter (45 g)
- 3 oz plain flour (85 g)
- 1 small onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 4 large eggs
- 3,5 oz breadcrumbs or panko (100 g)
- Peel the yellow onion and the garlic clove and chop them both up finely. Add them together with the unsalted butter to a large pan and place this over medium heat.
- Let the butter melt and gently cook the onion and garlic for 4 minutes. In the meantime chop the cured ham finely and add it to the pan.
- Stir well. Let the ham fry gently for 3 minutes. Then pour in the plain flour.
- Stir the ingredients quickly and cook for 2 more minutes. Then little by little pour in the whole milk to make a kind of béchamel sauce.
- Keep stirring constantly until the milk is fully incorporated. Season with a pinch of pepper, nutmeg and salt. Turn the heat a little lower now, put a lid on the pan and let the béchamel sauce thicken for 5 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent the bottom from burning. In the end take the pan off the heat and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper, nutmeg or salt to taste if necessary.
- Pour the béchamel sauce in a large and shallow baking dish. Flatten the top evenly using a spatula and then cover it nicely with a piece of cling film so it doesn’t dry out.
- Let the croquette filling cool down fully at room temperature. Then put it in the fridge to chill and set for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight. Then cut the filling up into even portions and shape it a little if you like. It will feel a little sticky but that's normal.
- Beat the eggs in a deep plate and pour the breadcrumbs in another deep plate. Coat the croquetas first with the egg and then with the breadcrumbs. Then repeat this once more.
Place the breaded croquetas on a clean plate. Chill the breaded croquetas in the fridge for another 30 minutes. Then fry them in batches in hot oil until golden. Serve hot.