Well 24 hours later there he was sitting at our dinner table, with a gorgeous tower of baked egglant and tomato sauce in front of him. And a smile from ear to ear.
Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
Never made an eggplant parmigiana recipe before but he assured me my version tasted even better than the one he could recall. Happy chef!
Love cooking Italian? Then also check my Italian style fried zucchini!
- 1 large fresh tomato chopped
- 2 large fresh eggplant
- 1 lb canned chopped tomatoes (450 g)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- ½ small red onion
- 4 handfuls grated cheese
- 1 cup plain flour (125 g)
- ½ cup frying oil (120 ml)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- olive oil
- Rinse the eggplants. Remove the green leaves on top and then slice the eggplant up. Sprinkle a large baking tray generously with salt. Then cover with a layer of eggplant slices. Sprinkle with salt and top with another layer of sliced eggplant.
- Then put the baking tray aside for 2 hours. In the meantime peel and chop the yellow onion and garlic. Add some olive to a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic and bay leaves.
- Place the pan over medium heat and cook the onion for 4 minutes. Then add the chopped ripe tomato.
- Stir and cook for a minute. Then add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with the dried thyme and a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Simmer the tomato sauce for 30 minutes and then take it of the heat. Once the eggplant has soaked enough in salt, rinse the slices under cold running tap water and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
- Pour the flour in a deep plate and dip the sliced eggplant in it. Shake off any excess flour.
- Pour the frying oil in a heavy skillet and put it over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced eggplant for a minute on each side (in batches) until golden.
- Place the fried eggplant on a plate and fry another batch until all of the eggplant is fried. Spread a couple of tablespoons of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Put a layer of the fried eggplant on top and sprinkle with some grated cheese. Season with pepper.
- Then spread again with the tomato sauce followed by a layer of fried eggplant and grated cheese. Go on like this. End with a layer of tomato sauce and grated cheese.
- Bake the eggplant dish in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) until golden. Cut the baked eggplant up and serve hot.