Mediterranean Salad Recipe (Oven Roasted)
Try harissa, it is a rather creamy and deeply flavored, rich and spicy mix of red chili. How hot depends on how much you add because not everyone likes too spicy. The harissa paste perfectly suits this roasted vegetable and lentil salad. I wonder why I never cooked with harissa before!
Love oven roasted vegetables? Then also check out my Spanish escalivada!
- 1 small fresh eggplant
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3,5 oz canned lentils (100 g), drained weight
- 3 tbsp fresh mint chopped finely
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp spicy harissa paste
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- olive oil
- Pour a little olive oil in a large non-stick pan and add the chopped onion and garlic and the rosemary.
- Then place the pan over medium heat and gently fry the garlic and onion in the oil for 4 minutes. In the meantime dice the eggplant up. Add it to the pan.
- Stir and cook the eggplant for 3 minutes. Add extra olive oil if necessary. Clean and trim the bell pepper. Dice it up as well. Then add this to the pan together with the tomato paste. Season with a little salt.
- Stir well again. Cook for another 2 minutes. Add the harissa paste and half a glass of water.
- Stir the vegetables well. Season with the ground cumin, coriander and the garam masala.
- Stir and cook for 2 more minutes until the vegetables are well mixed. Then take the pan off the heat and pour the vegetables in a baking dish.
- Place the dish in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for 30 minutes and roast the vegetables until tender. Stir halfway through cooking time. Then remove the dish from the oven and stir in the drained lentils and the freshly chopped mint.
- Stir well. Check the seasoning and add extra salt or harissa to taste if necessary. Serve piping hot.