This delicious salad is served cold and therefore perfect to prepare in the morning or a couple of hours in advance. I even cooked the eggs and blanched the green beans the day before! Lettuce, tomatoes, canned tuna, canned anchovies, black olives, green beans…
Here you go then. So simple and yet so freaking delish!
Nicoise Salad Recipe (French Tuna Salad)
Some versions of the salade Niçoise also contain other ingredients such as boiled potatoes, sliced bell pepper, artichokes or grated carrot. Do whatever you want but at least include canned tuna, green beans, eggs, olives and tomatoes! I once came across this salad and instead of canned tuna the chef added freshly seared tuna. Gosh, it looked and tasted fabulous! The best companion for this salad is a chilled rosé wine or a cold beer.
Love this salad? Then there’s also a sandwich version of this salad called pan bagnat! Bon appétit, mes amis!
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 5,5 oz green beans (155 g)
- 5,5 oz canned tuna (155 g), drained weight
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4,5 oz romaine lettuce (125 g), rinsed
- 6 canned anchovy fillets in oil
- a handful black olives pitted
- 2 tbsp onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Rinse the green beans. Place a large pan of salted water over high heat until boiling. Then blanch the beans in it for 4 minutes until they are nearly soft but still crunchy to the bite.
- Refresh them immediately under cold running tap water and put them aside to drain. Then transfer the olive oil, the white wine vinegar, the garlic paste, chopped onion and fresh parsley to a glass or cup. Season with a little pinch of pepper and salt to taste and stir well.
- Put the vinaigrette aside until later. Drain the canned tuna and flake it a bit using a fork.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and slice them up or cut them into quarters.
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes and slice them in half.
Then transfer the rinsed green lettuce and blanched green beans to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the olive oil vinaigrette and toss until well combined. Transfer the salad onto plates and top with the sliced boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, canned anchovy filets, pitted black olives and flaked canned tuna. Serve the salad cold.