Recipe For Hummus: a mediterranean classic!
The hummus is as good as if it were made with the original sesame paste! That toasted nutty flavor is definitely there! Only don’t use too much of the sesame oil. It dominates food and this delicate chickpea hummus quickly. One teaspoon really is enough if you ask me. You can add more in the end to taste of course.
So why still buy ready-made hummus if you can prepare homemade hummus in just a few seconds time? All you need are the required ingredients below and a good blender. Spread the hummus generously on a piece of fresh bread or serve it as a healthy appetizer dip. No need to say more.
- 9 oz canned chickpeas (250 g), drained weight
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 ml)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Drain the cooked chickpeas but keep some of the liquid aside. Put the chickpeas in the blender.
- Pulse a few times. Then add the garlic, sesame oil and lemon juice.
- Blend into a firm mixture. Add some olive oil and pulse again until you get a solid but smooth chickpea paste.
- Then add a little water or extra olive oil if you find the hummus too thick. Season with the chili powder and a pinch of salt.
- Check the seasoning again and add more lemon juice, sesame oil or garlic to taste. Then transfer the hummus onto a plate. Shape it with the back of a spoon and make a well in the middle. Then drizzle with some extra olive oil. Sprinkle with the chili powder and freshly chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve at room temperature.