Avocado Pesto Spaghetti
The greatest thing here is that this pesto sauce can be used hot or cold. I served it for dinner but it tastes just as great in a cold pasta salad for your lunchbox as well.
The fresh cilantro is a beautiful match for the avocado. I might even add some mint as well next time to make it extra fresh.
- 9 oz dry spaghetti (250 g)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- a handful fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse the fresh cilantro well, let it dry on a clean kitchen towel and then chop it up roughly. Add the cilantro to a blender.
- Blend until finely chopped. Then slice the avocado in half and peel it. Chop the soft meat up roughly and add it to the cilantro in the blender.
- Blend well until you get a smooth paste. Add the olive oil, 3 tablespoons of cold water, the lemon juice, the garlic powder and the ground coriander. Then season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Blend the ingredients into a very smooth paste. Add some extra water if you find it too thick. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper, salt, lemon juice or garlic powder to taste if necessary.
- Put the avocado pesto aside for now. Fill a high and large pan with water and season with some salt. Place the pan over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta.
- Cook it until al dente and drain it (keep half a glass of the cooking liquid aside). Then transfer the pasta to the pan again and drizzle with the avocado pesto.
- Stir well. Add some of the hot cooking liquid if the pasta and pesto become too dry. Then divide the pasta between plates and serve.