Here’s a lovely mediterranean dish that you should try out: my easy peasy baked feta cheese! It’s a great lunch option for when you crave something warm but still light, healthy and something that is easy to prepare!
Have you ever thought of serving warm feta cheese?
Don’t panic, it really works! The idea of heating up feta cheese might sound like a bad idea, however warm feta cheese tastes very good. It’s not as salty as it is when you serve it fresh, and maybe that might please a bunch of people who are not that crazy about feta.
Give this recipe a try and find out for yourself!
Baked Feta Cheese Casserole Recipe
This baked feta cheese is ready in just a couple of minutes. You can add whatever vegetables and ingredients you have in your fridge or pantry. I went for a couple of cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, capers in brine and black olives… I can’t help but think that this feta casserole kind of looks like a deconstructed Greek salad really!
But like I said, feel free to make your own version of this dish. You can add whatever vegetables you want. I’m thinking about for instance zucchini or mushrooms. Even green asparagus will also work a treat here in this dish.
It’s a great lunch option when you crave something warm but still light, healthy and easy to prepare. I like to finish this warm feta dish with a good sprinkle of fragrant olive oil. Also serve it with some grilled bread on the side. Yum.
Do you love recipes with feta cheese?
Then also check out my feta cheese and red pepper dip!
- 10,5 oz feta cheese (350 g)
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 2- inch fresh cucumber (5 cm)
- 1 thin slice onion
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- garlic powder
- 6 black olives pitted
- 1 tbsp capers in brine
- 1 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- olive oil
- Sprinkle the bottom of a small baking dish with olive oil and season with a pinch of pepper, salt, garlic powder and dried thyme.
- Place the feta cheese on top and sprinkle lightly with extra olive oil, pepper, salt, dried thyme and garlic powder.
- Place the feta cheese in a preheated oven and bake it for 15 minutes or until the top starts to brown. In the meantime chop the cherry tomatoes, olives, cucumber and onion up into rough bits and transfer them to a mixing bowl. Add the capers, some dried thyme, the chopped mint, the red wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with a pinch of pepper, salt and garlic powder.
- Stir well and put the salad in the fridge. Once the feta cheese is baked, divide it into 2 portions and place it onto plates. Top with the tomato salad.
- Serve immediately.