Time for my delicious velvety cake!
If you browse the internet then you’ll see it’s a pretty famous dessert. However I have never made it before to be honest with you. Not that I hate it, I love a good slice of carrot cake! But I’m just not much of a baker at home. I’m more into savory dishes. But I’m glad that I finally tried my hand at it!
“Does it taste like carrots?”, my sister asked me yesterday while we were facetiming. No, not really. It’s just a deliciously moist cake with a bright orange brown color. I also like the subtle crunch that the poppy seeds add to this cake.
Carrot Cake with Ginger & Poppy Seeds
Carrot cake always makes me think of my brother in law. He would tell us the same old carrot cake joke every year about a rabbit in a baker shop. He could make a bunny face including the protruding teeth (the ears were a bit harder to make), much funnier than the joke itself actually. Anyway, here’s an easy and delicious cake recipe for you then!
Do add the ground ginger to this cake! Carrots and ginger, that’s a great flavor match.
Once the cake is cooked through, then leave it to cool fully at room temperature in its cake tin. If the cake is still a little warm, the cream cheese frosting might start to melt once you start spreading on top. Let the cake cool fully, this is crucial!
Do you love this cake?
Then also take a look at my fluffy carrot cupcakes!
- 6 oz pastry flour (170 g)
- 6 oz brown sugar (170 g)
- 3,5 oz unsalted butter (100 g), soft
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz fresh carrots (225 g), grated
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp whole milk or cream
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 medium eggs
- Transfer the soft butter, the brown sugar and the eggs to a large mixing bowl.
- Then stir in the ground cinnamon, the ground ginger, the freshly grated carrots, the milk or cream, the poppy seeds and a pinch of salt.
- Give these ingredients a good stir. Sieve the pastry flour and baking soda right above the bowl.
- Then mix and stir all the ingredients well into a lumpy dark cake batter. Pour this cake batter in a buttered or oiled cake tin.
- Then bake the carrot cake in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked and set in the middle. Cover the cake with a sheet of tinfoil halfway through cooking time to prevent the top from burning. Once cooked, then remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool fully at room temperature in the cake tin. Spread the chilled cake with your choice of frosting. Then cut the cake into slices and serve.