I had a classic broccoli salad recipe with shaved and roasted almonds, sage, lemon and butter on my long to do list for some time but then the minute I started blanching the broccoli I changed my mind.
The butter version no doubt sounds great as a winter dish. But here I was, cooking on a beautiful summer’s day and I realised I just wanted some fresh flavors on my lunch table.
Lentil & Broccoli Salad Recipe
So here’s a wholesome little broccoli salad with very simple and healthy ingredients: lentils, tomatoes, broccoli, sesame seeds… I opted for a very light milk dressing instead of the classic cream, mayo or yogurt dressing. The mustard gives it an extra punch, don’t leave it out!
Sometimes I even replace the milk by buttermilk.
Do you like buttermilk? Can you find it easily around where you live? I love buttermilk. A good glass of it is one of my favorite summer drinks! I love that sour flavor and it also gives this dressing a lovely vinegary touch. It kind of reminds me of ranch dressing.
Love it our hate it, I like ranch dressing from time to time. Not the store bought version, but a lovely homemade one of course! Store bought ranch is way too sweet for my taste. The sourness in it comes from the sour cream, there’s no buttermilk in it.
I guess this broccoli salad will be highly appreciated by a couple of my vegetarian friends… It’s also a great barbecue side dish as well!
Do you love lentil salads?
Then also check out my French lentil salad with carrots and honey dressing! Another lovely bbq salad you gotta try out.
Here's a colorful broccoli salad recipe with cherry tomatoes, lentils, red onion and a light milk dressing...
- 10,5 oz fresh broccoli (300 g)
- 3 oz dry lentils (85 g)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- a handful fresh chives chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- ½ tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp strong mustard
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- Rinse the broccoli well and let it drain a little. Then cut it up into small florets. Fill a large saucepan with cold tap water and add a dash of salt. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add the broccoli.
- Blanch the broccoli for 3 to 4 minutes, remove it using a slotted spoon and immediately refresh it in a bowl filled with ice cold water.
- Bring the water you blanched the broccoli in back to a rolling boil and then add the dried green lentils.
Cook the lentils for 15 to 17 minutes until tender and then drain them. Pour the milk in a large mixing bowl and add the garlic paste, dried herbs, the mustard, freshly chopped chives and a pinch of pepper and salt.
Stir well again. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add them together with the blanched and drained broccoli to the milk dressing. Also add the drained green lentils, the chopped, sesame seeds and red onion.
- Stir and then check the seasoning. Add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Scoop the broccoli salad into bowls and serve.