Cabbage Rolls Recipe with Ground Beef
You can make this one vegetarian by stuffing the cabbage with cooked rice and preferably (dried) mushrooms. Or check my veggie cabbage rolls swith hard-boiled eggs and homemade curry sauce! Enjoy!
- 6 large leaves green cabbage
- ½ lb ground beef (225 g)
- ½ cup beef stock (120 ml), or chicken stock
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ shallot
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- ground cinnamon
- Rinse the cabbage leaves. Fill a high pan with water and season with a good dash of salt. Place the water over high heat and bring it to a rolling boil. Then add the cabbage leaves.
- Blanch the cabbage for about 7 to 8 minutes until it becomes soft and pliable. Drain the cabbage and rinse it under cold running tap water to stop the cooking process.
- Peel and chop the shallot and garlic. Then add this together with the grated fresh ginger to a large mixing bowl and add the beef mince.
- Knead the mince well using your hands. Season with a little pinch of cinnamon and a good sprinkle of pepper and salt.
- Then stir well and form the mince into 6 even balls.
- Place a cabbage leaf on a clean chopping board and add a meatball. Season with a little extra pepper.
- Fold the cabbage leaf over the mince...
- Then fold the sides (cut off any excess cabbage if necessary)...
- Until you end up with a nice and tight little parcel.
- Repeat this with the rest of the meatballs and cabbage leaves. You can secure the parcels with toothpick if you like.
- Then place the stuffed cabbage parcels in a baking dish and pour in the beef or chicken stock. Season with a little sprinkle of pepper.
- Then cover the baking dish with a sheet of tinfoil.
- Bake the cabbage in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for an hour. Divide the cabbage rolls over warm plates, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve hot.