Chicken With Olives Recipe
I call it a tagine, but take a close look at my recipe below and you’ll see I don’t use those typical Moroccan clay tagine crockpot at all. Just an old-fashioned casserole with a lid on it. Easy.
Can you use fresh lemon instead of preserved lemon? Sure. But the flavor will not be the same. Honestly. Preserved lemons have that tangy and salty zesty flavor. If you can find them, please use them in this recipe. I mean it.
Need another olive stew recipe? Take a look at my mediterranean beef and olive stew!
- 1 lb fresh chicken breasts (450 g)
- 1 small onion sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves sliced
- 1 inch fresh ginger (2,5 cm), grated
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curcuma powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 star anise
- ½ cup chicken stock (120 ml), warm
- ¼ tsp saffron powder
- 3,5 oz green olives (100 g)
- ½ preserved lemon sliced
- a handful fresh cilantro chopped
- olive oil
- Dice the chicken. Pour a little olive oil in a medium non-stick pan and then place this over high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the diced chicken. Brown them quickly for a couple of minutes on all sides.
- Then transfer the chicken on a plate and turn the heat to medium. Let the hot oil in the pan cool down a little. Then add the sliced onion and garlic to the pan.
- Stir fry the onion and garlic for 3 minutes until lightly browned. Don’t burn it! Then add the chili powder, turmeric, grated ginger, curcuma, star anise, some freshly grated nutmeg and bay leaves.
- Stir again and cook for another minute. Then add the preserved lemon and the green olives.
Stir well. Then add the browned chicken back to the pan. Also pour in the warm chicken stock and sprinkle with the saffron powder. Season with pepper and salt.
- Simmer the chicken over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. The sauce should have reduced by half by then. In the meantime prepare the couscous.
- Stir in half of the chopped cilantro. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste. Scoop the fresh couscous onto plates and top with the chicken. Garnish with the rest of the fresh cilantro. Serve hot.