Chocolate Ganache Cake Recipe
The day after I made the ganache and assembled the cake entirely… Worth giving it a try!
Love make ahead desserts? Then also check out my flourless chocolate cake!
- 4,5 oz dark chocolate (125 g)
- 7 oz brown sugar (200 g)
- 7 oz self-raising flour (200 g)
- ½ cup whole milk (120 ml)
- 8 oz unsalted butter (225 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 2 medium eggs
- 9 oz semi-sweet chocolate (270 g)
- ½ cup cream (120 ml)
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- Pour the milk in a saucepan and add the butter.
- Place the pan over medium heat until the butter has melted. Chop the chocolate up into small pieces. Then transfer them to a bowl and add the brown sugar. Also add the warm milk.
- Stir well until the chocolate has melted fully.
- Then add the self-raising flour and baking powder.
Stir well into a smooth batter. Add the eggs and cocoa powder (optional).
- Whisk well into a runny chocolate batter.
- Pour the batter in a springform tin (8-inch diameter) coated with baking paper.
- Bake the chocolate cake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes until cooked through. Turn off the heat and leave the cake to rest in the hot oven for another 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven. Let it cool entirely in its tin. Then slice off the top nicely using a long knife.
- Now cut the cake in 2 halves. You can do this easily by placing a higher chopping board next to it. Place a long knife on top and slice the cake while turning it around slowly. Keep the knife leveled with the chopping board.
You should end up with 2 perfect cake slices. Now make the coffee ganache. Break the semi-sweet chocolate into pieces and add them together with the instant coffee, the icing sugar and the heavy cream to a heat-resistant bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pan of boiling water (double boiler) and let the chocolate melt gently. Stir regularly until you get a smooth and runny chocolate glaze.
- Take the ganache off the heat and let it cool dow until lukewarm. Stir regularly. Spread 4 tablespoons of the ganache on one cake half.
Place this in the fridge for 10 minutes. Then cover with the second cake slice. Place the cake on an oven rack and drizzle with the remaining ganache.
Let the ganache drip off the sides or cover it entirely using a spoon. Whatever you like best. Decorate the cake with whatever you like: cacao powder, chocolate sprinkles,... or chocolate shavings (and pink pepper) like I did. Place the cake in the fridge to set for another 30 minutes. Slice it up and serve.