Christmas Bread Recipe from Scratch
Sprinkle the bread in the end with some icing sugar before serving. Also try brushing your dough with a little egg wash before it goes into the oven for a deep golden color and glossy surface. Merry Christmas!
Love baking sugary breads? Then also check out my banana bread from scratch!
- 2 ⅓ cups pastry flour (300 g)
- ½ cup caster sugar (110 g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter (110 g), cold
- 4,5 oz quark cheese (120 g)
- 3,5 oz dried fruit mix (100 g), chopped
- a handful dried nut mix chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- 2 medium eggs
- Pour the pastry flour in a blender and then add the diced cold butter, baking powder and caster sugar.
- Pulse into a dry mix. Add the quark cheese, both eggs and lemon juice (optional).
- Pulse one last time into a sticky and moist dough.
- Then pour the dough onto a clean and well-floured surface. Start kneading it for 2 minutes.
Add extra flour if it feels too sticky. Add the dried fruits and nuts of your choice. Knead well again until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Then shape the dough into the shape of a loaf and place it on a baking tray you lined with a sheet of baking paper.
- Bake the Christmas bread in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 45 to 50 minutes. Then remove the bread from the hot oven and let it fully cool on an oven rack. Slice it up (sprinkled with a little icing sugar if you like) and serve.