Easy Crash Hot Potatoes
I like the crunch the crushed potatoes get after baking them. Therefore it is crucial you leave the skins on. Brush and rinse them well! You can sprinkle the hot potatoes with some cheese or add a dollop of sour cream or garlic butter right before serving.
Looking for another exciting potato side dish! Then also check out my hasselback potatoes! Yum!
- 6 small potatoes
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- olive oil
- Brush the potatoes well under running cold tap water until well cleaned and drain them. Don't peel the potatoes.
- With a sharp knife lightly cut the potatoes on all sides. Don’t slice them in half, just give them a good pin prick a couple of times. This will make it easier to the potatoes to cook through and for you to smash the potatoes later on.
- Tear off 2 large tinfoil sheets and place 3 potatoes on each of them. Then sprinkle them with a little olive oil, a dash of pepper and salt and some dried herbs.
- Loosely wrap the potatoes up into 2 small bundles.
- Place them on a baking tray and put the tray in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C). Bake the potatoes in the oven for 35 minutes. Then remove the tray with potatoes, carefully open up the bundles and check if the potatoes are fully cooked through.
- Then with a tablespoon transfer the baked potatoes to the hot tray (be careful, it is still hot) and with a potato masher crush the potatoes until the skins burst.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the grated cheese and some extra pepper, salt and dried herbs.
- Place the potatoes under a hot grill or back in the hot oven for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted. Then remove the potatoes again and transfer them to a clean serving plate. Serve hot.