I love eggplant. How about you? And there are just so many delicious recipes to make with this gorgeous vegetable! Do you have a favorite eggplant recipe? One we make a lot here for dinner is oven baked eggplant parmigiana, also known as eggplant parmesan. Such a lovely comfort food meal!
Eggplant in Yogurt Sauce Indian Style
So tonight I’m craving something Indian… let’s see what I still got in my fridge. Yogurt! How about some baked eggplant in yogurt sauce? This refreshing and soothing eggplant in yogurt sauce is a great side dish to add to your dinner table when you plan on having a spicy Indian curry!
I’m sure that the freshness of the yogurt sauce is a great way to cleanse and sooth your burning tongue because that’s what you will need while you tuck into a spicy dinner like curries and such. That’s why you will often see curries that come with a serving of delicious raita, a cold yogurt dip that can contain cucumber, fresh herbs, onions and so on.
Eggplant vs Aubergine
So what do you say where you live? Eggplant or aubergine? I’m from Belgium and both in Flemish and French we say aubergine. My British neighbours also say aubergine but I have a feeling that in the US eggplant is used instead. Am I right? Let me know in the comments below!
Are you looking for more creative eggplant recipes?
Enjoy this one!
- 1 medium fresh eggplant
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 medium garlic clove chopped
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds fennel, mustard, cumin…
- ¼ cup whole milk (60 ml)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened yogurt
- ¼ cup vegetable stock (60 ml)
- a handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- olive oil
Slice the eggplant into ⅓ inch (0,8 mm) thick slices.
Pour some olive oil in a non-stick pan and place it over high heat until hot. Then add the eggplant. You can also do this in batches if necessary. Sear and fry the eggplant slices on one side for 4 minutes until golden.
Then flip them over, drizzle with extra olive oil and brown the eggplant for another 3 minutes until soft. Then transfer the baked eggplant to a plate. Bake another batch of eggplants until it's all cooked.
- Add some olive oil to the pan again together with the mixed seeds, garam masala and some pepper and salt.
- Stir the spices for a minute. Also add the chopped onion and the garlic.
- Stir well and turn the heat lower. Fry the onion for 3 minutes. Then add the milk, vegetable stock and tomato paste.
- Stir well until the tomato paste has dissolved. Cook the onion until soft. Then put the pan aside until cooked. Add the yogurt and the chopped cilantro.
- Stir and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper or salt to taste. Then add the baked eggplant to the pan and cover the slices with the yogurt sauce.
- Let the eggplant marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature. Serve lukewarm.