Ensalada Rusa (Spanish Potato Salad)
There are many versions of this Spanish ensalada rusa. The 3 main ingredients are potatoes, carrots and peas. Other ingredients can be added as well, like canned tuna, olives, crushed almonds and hard-boiled eggs. I kept it simple, I just added canned tuna to the vegetables.
What I have found out is that it’s better to add the mayonnaise to the vegetables while they are still warm and well drained. It makes the ensalada rusa extra creamy. If the cooked vegetables are cold or too wet, the mayo won’t be absorbed as much as it should. Especially by the potatoes. Are you making this salad in advance? Then I suggest you assemble it straight away and put it in the fridge.
I served this ensalada rusa as a lunch salad with breadsticks and rusk. Delicious!
Love a good chopped salad? Then also check out my chopped green bean salad with a garlicky cream cheese dressing! Want to keep it light and fresh? Then take also look at my Thai chopped prawn salad!
- 10,5 oz floury potatoes (300 g)
- 5,5 oz fresh carrots (155 g)
- 5,5 oz frozen green peas (155 g)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5,5 oz canned tuna (155 g)
1) Peel the potatoes and carrots, rinse both and chop them into small dice. Fill a large saucepan with water, add a dash of salt and place it over high heat until boiling. Then add the diced potatoes.
2) Cook for 3 minutes. Then add the carrots.
3) Cook for 4 more minutes. Now add the frozen peas.
4) Cook for another 2 minutes. Then immediately strain the cooked vegetables and rinse them under ice cold running tap water to stop the cooking process. Let them drain a little.
5) Pour the warm carrots, potatoes and peas in a large mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise. Season with a little pepper and salt.
6) Drain the canned tuna and also add it to the bowl.
7) Stir well. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Serve the ensalada rusa at room temperature, not cold.