French Breton Galette (Stuffed Buckwheat Crepes)
I prepared this galette in a non-stick pan because I needed just one for my lunch. When I got more of them to cook at the same time I bake the crepes first, let them cool a little, stuff and fold them and then I place the galettes under a hot grill for a couple of minutes until the egg has set.
Galette in French has other meanings as well: it can be a potato pancake (like a hash brown or rösti), a sweet pie and butter biscuits or wafers.
Looking for other buckwheat recipes? Then also try out my buckwheat chestnut cupcakes or buckwheat crepes with dulce de leche and baked apple!
- 6 slices cooked ham
- 9 oz buckwheat flour (250 g)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 cup whole milk (240 ml)
- 8 240 ml eggs
- 1 cup water (240 ml), lukewarm
- 1 ½ oz unsalted butter (45 g), melted
- 4,5 oz cheese (125 g), grated
- a handful fresh chives chopped finely
- vegetable oil
- Add the flour and eggs to a bowl.
- Then add the water, sugar and milk. Season with pepper and salt.
- Stir until you get a runny batter. Then add the melted butter.
- Stir well. If you want no lumps in the batter, blend it for a couple of seconds or use a stick mixer. Then cover the bowl with a towel and let the batter rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pour a tiny drop of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan and place it over high heat until hot. Then add a spoonful of the batter. Don’t add too much. The crepe must be thin and pliable. If it is too thick it will break when you fold it later.
- Gently move the pan around to spread the batter evenly. Then bake the crepe for 3 to 4 minutes until cooked on one side.
- Flip the crepe over and cook it for another 3 minutes on its uncooked side.
- Once cooked, take the pan off the heat. Place a slice of ham in the middle of the hot crepe (trim it if necessary).
- Then break an egg on top. I used a serving ring to keep it more or less in the middle.
- Then place the pan back over medium heat. As soon as the egg white starts to set, fold the sides of the crepe and close in the egg yolk. Bake for another 2 minutes until the yolk is warmed through. Sprinkle with grated cheese and chopped chives.
- Season with pepper and salt. Serve hot.