Apparently hasselback potatoes are a Swedish specialty. The meaning behind them is to roast them in a pretty hot oven until extremely crunchy and golden on the outside but soft and mushy on the inside…
I recommend blanching the potatoes for a few minutes before slicing and roasting them because then you are sure that you won’t end up with half cooked potatoes. Munch, crunch, munch… Enjoy!
Looking for more exciting potato side dishes like this one? Then also check my creamy dauphinoise potatoes au gratin! Oh you’ll also love that one!
A surprisingly cute looking potato side dish!
- 8 medium waxy potatoes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 small garlic cloves
- olive oil
- Scrub the potatoes under cold running tap water but don’t peel them. Let the potatoes drain for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a medium pan and add water and a tiny pinch of salt.
- Cook the potatoes over high heat for 7 to 9 minutes until a little tender but not soft. Drain the potatoes and let them cool a bit.
- Cut a little slice off the potatoes because this will keep them straight while baking.
- Then sow slice the potato finely. To avoid slicing it in half, here’s how I do it. I put the potato in between 2 chopping boards that have the same hight. Then run your knife along the top of the potato that sits above the chopping boards. The bottom will remain in one piece without too much effort.
- Put the potatoes on an oiled oven tray. Slice the garlic clove finely and then push a few slivers in between the sliced potato.
- Cut the butter into tiny wedges and fill the remaining empty gaps of the potato. Season generously with pepper and salt.
Then bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 428°F (220°C) for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat. Remove the hasselback potatoes, drizzle with extra olive oil and extra pepper and salt. Put them straight back in the hot oven for another 25 minutes until nicely brown and crisp. Remove the hasselback potatoes from the oven and serve hot.
Oven Roasted Potatoes with Tomatoes
Oh here’s another little potato side dish that I wanted you to try out then! Why make a roasted potatoes recipe difficult if you can do it much simpler? I was actually planning to slowly braise some tomatoes with a dash of fresh mint until soft and velvety smooth and turn the potatoes into a silky mash with loads of cheese. All this to accompany a delicious grilled thick piece of pan fried skate.I had just taken my favorite ceramic oven dish out of the dishwasher and it kind of sat there winking at me, smiling. In the end I (willingly) buckled under its pressure. I cut up the veg, added a few extra ingredients and some delicious herbs from the garden, then tossed it all quickly Jamie Oliver style and popped the lot into the hot oven. A new roasted potatoes recipe was born!
Well this oven roast turned out to be freaking delish then. The lemon keeps the dish fresh and easily digestible. You can add vinegar instead as well. Just keep a close eye on it while it’s cooking in the oven because the potatoes do change color quickly. You can also stir the whole lot halfway through cooking time or cover with some tinfoil then.
Oven roasted potatoes with tomatoes!
- 12,5 oz potatoes (350 g)
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 2 small garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Rinse the potatoes and tomatoes but don't peel them. Drain then on a clean kitchen towel. Cut both potatoes and tomatoes into quarters lengthwise. Slice each of these quarters into 3 even wedges.
- Transfer all of them to a large ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle with the chopped garlic, the lemon juice, lemon zest and the olive oil. Season generously with pepper and salt to taste.
- Mix the ingredients well using your hands. Roughly chop the thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle them on top of the vegetables. Bake the dish 1 hour in a preheated oven at 392°F (200°C) until soft. Cover with some tinfoil if the potatoes start to brown too quickly.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Then leave it to rest for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with some extra pepper. Serve immediately.