I was desperately in need of a delicious leftover lamb recipe.
And here’s why. We had a birthday celebration at home and therefore ordered a 4,4 lbs (2 kg) leg of roasted lamb. Enough meat for 6 persons, we thought and we were right.
It was absolutely delicious, but there’s no way we could have eaten all that meat all in one go. So here’s some yummy leftover lamb the day after.
Thai Leftover Lamb Salad Rice Bowls
So we had leftovers, and I had a serious craving for something Asian.
Do you like Thai food? I have to admit that lamb is not something you see a lot on the menu over there. No problem, I’m always in for a little fusion cooking! Thai style lamb.
The most important part here is the strong soy sauce marinade. If you get that flavor balance right, then you’re in for a real treat.
Give the shredded roast lamb and vegetables enough time to marinate because this will really add much more flavor and depth to these rice bowls. Don’t worry, the flavors won’t kill the lamb since it is quite strong in taste too.
Oh right, the rice.
I served this cold salad over cooked cold rice, another leftover I have to say. But I’m sure that freshly cooked or steamed rice will also work like a charm. Cold crunchy and zesty lamb salad over warm creamy rice, can’t go wrong with that.
But it’s up to you!
Are you looking for more leftover lamb recipes?
Then also check my pulled lamb sandwiches with mushy peas! Or how about a lamb parmentier? You can kind of compare it with a classic shepherd’s pie, but instead of lamb mince you can use roasted lamb!
Try it, you will love it!
Got leftover lamb in your fridge? In for a little fusion cooking? Then you'll love these savory Thai style lamb salad rice bowls!
- 5,5 oz leftover lamb roast (155 g)
- 7 oz cooked rice (200 g)
- a handful red bell pepper sliced
- 2- inch fresh cucumber (5 cm)
- 2 tsp palm sugar or caster sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic mashed
- ½ tsp red chili sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- a handful fresh mint
- a handful fresh cilantro
- a handful salted peanuts crushed coarsely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine the olive oil, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, mashed garlic, sliced red chili and lime juice in a cup. Whisk the marinade well and put in aside until the sugar has dissolved.
- In the meantime peel the cucumber and slice it up finely. Add this together with the red bell pepper to a large mixing bowl.
Chop the fresh herbs up. Also shred the lamb roast roughly up into bite size bits. Add both to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, stir the marinade again and check the seasoning. Add extra condiments to taste.
Then pour the marinade over the vegetables and lamb. Give it all a good stir and let it all rest and infuse at room temperature for another 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes. Add the crushed peanuts in the end right before serving.
- Divide the rice over bowls and top with the lamb salad. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and extra fresh herbs. Serve.