Thai Leftover Lamb Salad Rice Bowls
I love cooking Thai. However lamb is not something you see a lot on the menu over there. No problem, I’m always in for a little fusion cooking! The most important part here is the marinade. If you get that flavor balance right, then you’re in for a real treat.
Give the leftover lamb and vegetables enough time to marinate because this will really add much more flavor and depth to these rice bowls. Oh right, the rice. I served this cold salad over cooked cold rice but I’m sure that freshly cooked or steamed rice will also work like a charm. Cold crunchy and zesty lamb salad over warm creamy rice, can’t go wrong with that. But it’s up to you!
Looking for more leftover lamb recipes? Then also check my pulled lamb sandwiches with mushy peas!
Got leftover lamb in your fridge? In for a little fusion cooking? Then you'll love these savory Thai style lamb salad rice bowls!
- 5,5 oz leftover lamb roast (155 g)
- 7 oz cooked rice (200 g)
- a handful red bell pepper sliced
- 2- inch fresh cucumber (5 cm)
- 2 tsp palm sugar or caster sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic mashed
- ½ tsp red chili sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- a handful fresh mint
- a handful fresh cilantro
- a handful salted peanuts crushed coarsely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine the olive oil, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, mashed garlic, sliced red chili and lime juice in a cup. Whisk the marinade well and put in aside until the sugar has dissolved.
- In the meantime peel the cucumber and slice it up finely. Add this together with the red bell pepper to a large mixing bowl.
Chop the fresh herbs up. Also shred the lamb roast roughly up into bite size bits. Add both to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, stir the marinade again and check the seasoning. Add extra condiments to taste.
Then pour the marinade over the vegetables and lamb. Give it all a good stir and let it all rest and infuse at room temperature for another 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes. Add the crushed peanuts in the end right before serving.
- Divide the rice over bowls and top with the lamb salad. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and extra fresh herbs. Serve.