Lentil Fritters Appetizers
Serve the lukewarm fritters with a light and fresh minty yogurt dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- 9 oz dry lentils (250 g)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs or panko
- 1 medium egg
- 1 cup frying oil (240 ml)
- Soak the green lentils in cold water for 3 hours. No need to soak them overnight.
- Drain the lentils and rinse them one more time. Then transfer the lentils to a high pan. Add water until the lentils are submerged. Add the peeled garlic cloves and a dash of salt.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat. Cook the lentils for 30 minutes until soft.
- Then drain the cooked lentil and garlic cloves. Let them cool down fully. Transfer the lentil and garlic to a blender. Keep 2 handfuls of lentils aside for later.
- Blend until you get a rough mix. Add the ground cumin, cinnamon and egg. Season generously with pepper and salt.
- Blend again into a wet mix. Taste it and add extra cumin, pepper or salt to taste. Then blend again into a smooth paste. Add it to the 2 handfuls of lentil you kept aside.
- Stir well. Stir in the panko.
- Roll even balls from the lentil mixture. I made 1 oz (30 g) balls. Heat the frying oil in a saucepan over high heat until piping hot. Add a first batch of fritters.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until the balls are golden brown. Stir regularly using a slotted spoon.
Remove the cooked fritters and drain them on kitchen paper. Add another batch of lentil balls to the hot oil and fry until all the balls are cooked. Transfer the fritters to a bowl and serve with a yogurt dipping sauce.