Parsnip Slaw with Shredded Carrots
First time I prepared parsnips for the hubs (I made a soup) he thought it was a mixture of pumpkin and carrot. Pretty close. But make a how for this raw parsnip salad now! Make it as creamy as you want. Not a mayo fan? Add yogurt! And don’t forget to add those raisins.
- 1 medium fresh parsnip
- 1 small fresh carrot
- 2 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 fresh spring onion
- a handful raisins
- 1 tsp strong mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- a handful fresh parsley
- First of all peel the parsnip and rinse it. Then grate it finely and transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Now peel the carrot, rinse it as well and grate it finely too. Then add it to the grated parsnip in the bowl.
- Stir and add the chopped red onion. Slice the spring onion finely. Chop the raisins roughly and add both spring onion and raisins to the bowl as well. Season with a little pinch of pepper and salt.
- Stir the slaw well. Now add the strong mustard (add half if you are not sure about the spiciness) and the mayo.
- Stir well again until creamy. Rinse the fresh parsley and chop it up finely. Add it to the slaw.
- Stir the slaw well and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper, salt, mustard or mayo to taste if necessary. Give it one last good stir. Let the slaw chill in the fridge for 5 minutes, then serve.