Pasta Fazool (Pasta e Fagioli)
Sure you can add protein to this soup. Minced beef or pancetta for instance! Don’t forget that last drizzle of olive oil when you are plating up these soup bowls… Makes such a huge flavor difference!
Love Italian tomato soups? Then also check out my Italian tomato and meatballs soup!
Pasta fazool: a classic Italian pasta and bean soup with fresh tomatoes and basil!
- 2 large fresh tomatoes
- 5,5 oz cooked pasta (155 g), elbow or macaroni
- 5,5 oz canned white beans (155 g), drained weight
- 4 cups vegetable stock (960 ml), warm
- 1 medium fresh carrot chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- ½ small onion chopped
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- a handful fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (grated)
- olive oil
- Pour a splash of olive oil in a high pan and place it over medium-high heat. Then add the bay leaves, the chopped onion and garlic. Season with a little pepper and salt.
- Gently fry the onion for 3 minutes. Chop the tomatoes roughly and add them to the pan.
- Stir well and cook the tomatoes for 5 minutes. Then add the chopped carrots, the tomato paste and pour in the warm vegetable stock. Season with another pinch of pepper and salt.
Stir and bring the tomato soup to a rolling boil. Keep it there for 10 minutes, then turn the heat low and simmer the soup for another 10 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and have fallen apart. Then add the (cooked) pasta and drained white beans.
- Stir well and cook for 3 minutes - a little more if you are using uncooked pasta. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Stir in the chopped basil right before serving.
- Then scoop the soup into large bowls. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and a good glug of olive oil. Serve hot.