Here is another recipe with very ripe avocados that isn’t a classic guacamole dip! The flavors in this pesto chicken soup are spot on, and how I love the match between the creamy avocado and the stronger basil pesto.
You buy a couple of avocados but for some reason you just don’t get around to eat them fast enough. And because of that you end up with overripe avocados.
I love a good and creamy classic guacamole. But there also have to be other recipes you can make with them, right? Let’s see what I can also dig up for you to try out.
Pesto Chicken Soup with Avocado
Here’s more inspiration for you.
I made a creamy avocado spaghetti sauce before. This dish is also worth checking out! Avocados are plentiful here in Spain and I love them because they are just sublime. They are creamy, bright green, cheap and full of flavor. I sometimes just mash one up on a piece of grilled bread, pinch of pepper and salt and then done!
This is my third avocado soup actually. My first one is a funky chilled green pea and avocado soup with bacon, also perfect for summer days! The second soup contains avocado, leeks and bacon. A lovely winter soup!
This chicken and pesto soup is also the perfect hearty comfort soup for colder days. That pesto really lifts the flavors up. Adding it was just a hunch really. I had made a batch of fresh green basil pesto. Somehow I thought that a spoonful of that stuff might go well with the other ingredients. And it did!
I wasn’t sure whether the hubs would love it because he’s not a huge fan of avocados. But he enjoyed it this soup to bits.
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock (600 ml)
- 9 oz fresh chicken breast (250 g)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- Pour the chicken stock in a high pan and then add the peeled garlic cloves. Place the pan over high heat until boiling and then add the chicken breast.
- Turn the heat a little lower, put a lid on the pan and cook the chicken breast for 10 minutes. Then remove the an from the heat, take the cooked chicken out of the stock and let it cool down for a couple of minutes until you can touch it without burning your fingers. Shred the chicken into smaller bits.
- Place the warm chicken stock back over medium-high heat and bring it to a good simmer. Slice the avocado in half, remove the seed and then with a tablespoon scoop the soft avocado meat out of its skin. Add it to the chicken stock. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Blend or mix the soup into a smooth mixture. Add the green basil pesto.
- Stir well. Then add the shredded chicken.
- Stir the soup well again. Let it simmer for another 3 minutes until warmed through. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary.
- Take the pan off the heat and scoop the avocado chicken soup into large bowls. Serve hot.