Salmon Taco Recipe with Avocado
Fills my heart with joy! And what a great way to ’share’ a meal. Put everything on the table from fish to salads to sauces and let everyone assemble their own tacos the way they like. It was a lovely dinner, I can tell you.
Love tacos? Then also check my pork belly tacos with sauerkraut!
- 9 oz fresh salmon (250 g)
- 2 handfuls green cabbage sliced finely
- 1 small fresh carrot peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 8 taco shells
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chili powder
- a handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Rub the salmon fillet on both sides with the cumin seeds, a pinch of salt and half of the chili powder.
- Wrap it in a piece of cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. In the meantime peel the avocado, remove the seed inside and chop up the green avocado meat. Add it to a large mixing bowl together with half of the sour cream, a pinch of salt, some freshly chopped cilantro and half of the rest of the chili powder.
Stir well into a creamy paste. You can keep it chunky it you like. Put this avocado salsa aside in the fridge to chill until needed later. In another large mixing bowl combine the grated carrot, the sliced cabbage, the red onion, the remaining sour cream, the mayo, some freshly chopped cilantro, the lime (or lemon) juice, the rest of the chili powder and a pinch of salt.
- Stir well and check the seasoning of the coleslaw. Add extra chili powder, lime juice or salt to taste. Put this aside for later. Pour the olive oil in a non-stick pan and place it over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the salmon and sear it on all sides.
- Cook for as long as you like. Some like salmon when it is fully cooked through. I like it best when it is still a little raw and glossy on the inside like a medium rare steak. Once cooked, take the pan off the heat and let the salmon cook a little. Then flake it up with a fork. Bake the taco shells (see package instructions). Place the lukewarm salmon, the avocado salsa and the coleslaw on the table. Assemble the tacos the way you like.