Hmmm let’s make a silky and sugary pad thai recipe tonight for dinner then! The pad thai sauce is more or less based on the pad thai recipe of my Thai friend Rose. And she knows best what goes into it… Don’t let the amount of sugar put you off. It’s the most important ingredient that goes into it.
Have you been to Thailand before? Then you certainly must have tasted this dish there! It’s a very popular noodle stir fry over there. And we love it. What I love so much about it is the texture of the flat noodles. They are so good and have a lovely bite to them.
However I tasted another noodle stir fry in Thailand called pad see ew. The noodles in that dish are so silky smooth, my absolute favorite!
Shrimp Pad Thai Recipe (Homemade)
If you can’t find any tamarind juice, then you can replace it by a tablespoon of molasses and 2 teaspoons of lemon or lime juice.
Do you love Thai food?
For The Pad Thai Marinade
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2,5 oz palm sugar (70 g), or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp hot chili sauce
- 2 tbsp tamarind juice
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- Pour the vegetable oil in a small saucepan and add the chopped onion and garlic. Place this over medium-high heat.
- Cook the garlic and onion for 3 to 4 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Then add the palm sugar (or brown sugar), the fish sauce, the tamarind juice, the oyster sauce and the hot chili sauce. Pour in the half a cup of water.
- Stir and bring the sauce to a good boil. Let it reduce by half until you get a fairly runny and sugary thick and sticky mixture. This is your pad thai sauce. Take the sauce off the heat and put it aside until needed later.
Shrimp Pad Thai Noodles
- 12 cooked shrimp
- 7,5 oz rice noodles (200 g), dry
- 3,5 oz bean sprouts (100 g)
- 1 large egg
- 4 fresh spring onions chopped
- a handful fresh cilantro chopped
- a handful salted peanuts crushed
- ½ cup water (120 ml)
- 1 fresh lime
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Soak the dry rice noodles. See the specific package instructions.
Pour the the vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium heat until hot. Then add the egg.
- Scramble the egg quickly and take the pan off the heat for now. Drain the soaked rice noodles and add them to the scrambled egg.
- Stir a little. Then pour in the freshly made pad thai sauce and add 3 tablespoons of water.
- Stir the noodles. Cover the pan and put it back over medium heat. Cook for 4 minutes until the noodles are tender. Stir regularly. Then add the cooked prawns and the chopped spring onions.
- Stir the noodles again. Cook for another 4 minutes. Add extra water if the noodles are too dry. Then stir in the freshly chopped cilantro and the bean sprouts.
- Stir the pad thai well to combine. Check the seasoning and add extra fish sauce or hot chili sauce to taste if necessary. Then divide the pad thai noodles and shrimp over warm and deep plates. Sprinkle with the crushed salted peanuts and serve with a wedge of lime on the side. Serve hot.