Smoked Haddock with Spinach & Butter Sauce
Be careful with this butter sauce, though don’t go over it lightly. This sauce tastes absolutely fabulous if it’s done right, but the melted butter can also start to split in just a second if you rush it.
A superb fish dinner you should definitely try out!
- 2 large fillets smoked haddock (thawed if frozen)
- 3 handfuls fresh spinach
- 2 medium waxy potatoes
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5,5 oz unsalted butter (155 g), diced
- 3 tbsp red onion or shallot, chopped
- 3 cups whole milk (720 ml)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove sliced
Pour the milk in a medium saucepan, also add the smoked haddock fillets and place the pan over medium-low heat until simmering.
Warm the fish through, don't let the milk boil. In the meantime cook the potatoes in salted water. Don’t peel of chop them up, leave them in one piece.
Make the butter sauce: add a teaspoon of butter to a small saucepan together with the chopped shallots or red onion and a pinch of garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Let the onion or shallot fry over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir regularly. Make sure it doesn’t burn. Then add the vinegar. Turn the heat up a bit and let the vinegar reduce until it is more or less gone. Then turn the heat as low as you can and add a chunk of ice cold butter. Gently stir it around on a fork until it has melted. Don’t rush it, the melted butter has to thicken gradually and that takes some time. If you rush it, the butter sauce will split.
Then keep adding bits of butter one at a time. In the end the butter sauce should be very glossy and rather thick. Once you have incorporated all the butter, take the pan off the heat and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
Add the sliced garlic and olive oil to a small frying pan.
Place the pan over medium heat until hot. Bake the garlic for a minute. Then add the spinach and stir fry it for 2 minutes until soft.
Drain the cooked potatoes and haddock. Peel the potatoes and slice them up. Place the potato slices on 2 deep plates. Top with the blanched spinach and a poached haddock fillet. Drizzle with the butter sauce. Serve immediately.