Oops watch out, don’t blink.
Just because this lunch salad recipe is so short it is over before you even know it! There’s indeed not a lot of cooking involved in this smoked salmon salad. None even, apart from boiling a couple of eggs if you don’t have any hard boiled in your fridge at the moment. All you have to do after that is just slice and season the ingredients and plate them up nicely.
And you’re done, your lovely colorful and healthy salad is ready!
Healthy Avocado & Smoked Salmon Salad
I started assembling this salad without a fixed idea in mind.
Like many times I just open my fridge, kitchen cupboards and go through my pantry looking for ingredients that go together well. I did start with the idea of doing something or creating a meal around the smoked salmon.
I bought it at my local supermarket for a bargain. Smoked salmon isn’t something I buy very often. I do enjoy it though. I was first thinking of making smoked salmon eggs benedict, but the eggs in my fridge were already boiled.
Change of plans. That’s when I saw that bag of fresh watercress.
Do you like watercress? I think its’ a great alternative for lettuce. Goes very well with avocado too. And the kiwifruit? I thought it would also add a lovely sour and fresh touch to the other ingredients.
You get it, it’s definitely a no brainer. But it’s a highly delicious and very elegant salad, an eye catcher of a lunch! Serve with grilled bread.
Do you love easy lunch salads?
Then also check out my mixed bean salad with creamy avocado dressing!
- 3,5 oz smoked salmon (100 g), sliced
- 1 large hard-boiled egg
- 2 handfuls fresh watercress or arugula
- 1 ripe kiwifruit
- 1 ripe avocado
- 6 caper berries
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- garlic powder
- olive oil
1. Gently rinse the watercress or arugula (or whatever salad or lettuce you are using) under cold running tap water. Transfer it to a large sieve or colander, shake it well and let it drain for 2 minutes. Then pour the watercress in a medium mixing bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice. Season with a pinch of pepper, garlic powder and salt.
2. Toss the watercress salad well and put it in the fridge for now. Then slice the avocado in half and peel it carefully. Discard the skins and the seed in the middle. Slice the avocado meat up into thick slivers.
3. Peel the kiwifruit and slice it up as well.
4. Peel the hard-boiled egg and then slice it into 4 bits.
5. Divide the slices of smoked salmon over 2 plates. Top with the seasoned watercress salad. Garnish with the sliced egg, kiwifruit, avocado, sesame seeds and caper berries. Thehn finish with a drizzle of extra olive oil and a pinch of salt. Serve with grilled bread.