Love red cabbage? Then also check out my red cabbage soup with blue cheese!
Spiced Red Cabbage with Veal Sausages
Spiced Red Cabbage & Veal Sausages
1 hr 30 mins
Course: Main Course
Calories per serving: 649 kcal
- 2 veal sausages
- 1 lb fresh red cabbage (450 g)
- 2 medium garlic cloves peeled
- ½ cup red wine (120 ml)
- 1 cup water (240 ml)
- ¼ fresh lemon
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp strong mustard
- 2- inch fresh ginger (5 cm), peeled
- 1 tbsp dried juniper berries
- 3 cloves
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- a handful fresh parsley or tarragon, chopped
- olive oil
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, peeled ginger, garlic cloves and a splash of olive oil to a large pan, one that has a lid.
- Place the pan over medium-hight heat and fry the ingredients for 2 minutes. Then add the juniper berries, cloves and fennel seeds. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Cook gently for 3 minutes. Then in the meantime slice the red cabbage finely and add this to the pan as well.
- Stir and add the red wine, water and lemon.
- Bring the cabbage to a good boil. Then turn the heat a little lower. Put a lid on the pan and braise the cabbage for 40 to 50 minutes until soft. Stir regularly. Then add the brown sugar, mustard and butter.
- Stir and cook for another 20 minutes. In the meantime bake the sausages in a little olive oil until golden and cooked through.
- In the end add the freshly chopped herbs to the braised cabbage.
- It should be very soft and smooth by now. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper, salt, mustard or brown sugar to taste if necessary. Scoop the cabbage onto deep plates and top with the baked sausage. Serve hot.