Thai Fish Cakes (Tod Mun Pla)
I always serve the fish cakes with a delicious cucumber dipping sauce because it is so easy to make! Here’s what you need for for the dipping sauce then: 3 tablespoons of freshly chopped cucumber, a tablespoon of crushed salted peanuts, a pinch of (brown) sugar, a tablespoon of fish sauce, a tablespoon of light soy sauce and a tablespoon of rice vinegar. Combine all these ingredients and let this sauce chill in the fridge until your freshly cooked fish cakes are ready to be served!
You can easily make the fish cake mixture in a blender if you like. This will make the cakes finer in texture. It’s up to you!
Love Thai fish recipes? Then also check out my Thai fish and seafood curry!
Spicy thai fish cakes with a delicious cucumber dipping sauce, great appetizer or starter!
- 9 oz white fish (250 g), deboned and skinned
- 1 fresh spring onion sliced
- 1 tbsp red chili chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp spicy red curry paste
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp lime juice
- a handful fresh mint
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- caster sugar
- frying oil
- Chop the fish finely and then add it to a large mixing bowl together with the finely sliced spring onion, the grated ginger and the chopped chili. Season with the lime juice and a tiny pinch of sugar.
- Mash the fish up with a fork until it is fine and mushy. Then add the fish sauce, cornflour, red curry paste and the beaten egg yolk.
- Mash the fish up again. Taste the fish mixture and add extra fish sauce, sugar, or lime juice to taste if necessary. Then let the fish paste rest in the fridge for 10 minutes. Pour a little frying oil in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium heat until hot. Then add little portions of the fish batter using a tablespoon (do this in batches if necessary). Flatten the top of the fish dollops nicely.
Cook the fish cakes for about a minute until they start to turn golden on one side. Carefully flip them and then fry the cakes for another minute until nicely golden on both sides.
Let the fish cakes drain on kitchen paper, keep them warm under tinfoil while you fry the remaining cakes. Serve the fish cakes hot with cucumber dipping sauce.