Cod & Winter Vegetable Navarin
I invited my parents for lunch and since they are pescetarian I always go for fish. This time I found some gorgeous looking cod steaks in my supermarket, exactly what I had in mind for this dish. I also collected whatever winter vegetable I could find: turnips, parsnips, pumpkin… I would have loved to add salsify as well but there were none yet.
What I did add is beetroot. A little word about that one. If you add it to this dish: prepare it separately. Peel, dice and steam it separately from the other vegetables. Right before your plates fly out of your kitchen, add the beetroot cubes to the other vegetables. What will happen if you add them to the cream sauce: it will make everything go pink. And I mean: really pink. If you’re OK with that, go ahead. I just sprinkled the warm steamed beetroot on top of the other vegetables.
Love this vegetable medley? Then also check out another winter vegetables recipe: my oven roasted root vegetables!
Steamed cod in a creamy winter vegetable navarin “de la mer”, a lighter fish version of the classic French lamb navarin stew!
- 4 fillets fresh cod
- 1 large fresh parsnip
- 1 small fresh beetroot optional
- 5,5 oz fresh pumpkin (155 g), cleaned
- 1 large fresh turnip
- 1 large potato
- 3 oz fresh samphire (85 g)
- 3 oz grey North Sea shrimp (85 g), optional
- 1 cup cream (240 ml)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- ¼ fish bouillon cube
- Peel, trim and clean the vegetables. Dice them all up into even bits.
- If you are using beetroot, peel, dice and steam or boil it separately and keep warm (see my introduction text).
- Steam or boil the (other) vegetables for 5 minutes until cooked but still a little crunchy. Then let the cooked vegetables cook a little. In the meantime slice the garlic finely and add it to a casserole together with the butter.
- Place this over medium heat and let the garlic gently fry for 5 minutes. Then pour in the cream and season with a little pepper and the crumbled fish bouillon cube.
- Stir and bring the cream to a light simmer. Then add the cooled vegetables to the cream (except for the beetroot - if using).
- Stir and let the vegetables warm through over very low heat. In the meantime cook, poach or steam the cod. Once the cod is ready, add the samphire to the vegetable cream sauce.
- Stir the sauce well and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Scoop the cream sauce and vegetables onto deep plates and top with the cooked cod. Sprinkle with grey shrimp and warm beetroot (optional). Serve hot.