White Asparagus Flemish Style Recipe
White asparagus Flemish style, ‘asperges op Vlaamse wijze’ in Flemish and asperges à la Flamande in French. I love their sweet and earthy flavor. A great match for the crumbled yolks and egg whites. And don’t forget the freshly chopped parsley but more importantly: the drizzle of warm melted butter on top right in the end. Tastes like home!
We always looking forward to the white asparagus season in Belgium. True, you can get them more or less all year around. But the best asparagus are harvested in April, May and June. If you ask us of course. Prices can differ quite a lot, and that has almost always to do with the weather. If the weather is warm, then there will be more asparagus and prices will go down. Rainy week? Less asparagus and they will be more expensive.
What prices can you expect in Belgium? At the farmers market white asparagus will cost you around 3 to 5 euros on average, supermarkets and delis might ask double that price.
Love them? Then also check out my white asparagus with smoked salmon and dill béarnaise!
- 10 thick fresh white asparagus
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs
- a handful fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- First peel the asparagus. Place them horizontally on a clean chopping board and hold them with one hand by their heads. Then with your free hand carefully run a vegetable peeler from the heads towards the bottom part. Turn the asparagus as you go until you have removed every inch of the tough skin.
- Once you have peeled all the asparagus, heck the bottom parts and chop them off if they are dried out. Fill a wide pan with water and bring it to a gentle boil. Then add the asparagus to it and cook them for 7 to 10 minutes (depends how thick they are) until tender. Keep an eye on them!
- In the meantime peel the hard-boiled eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Then add the yolks to a clean blender and pulse them well into a fine crumble.
- Pour the yolks in a cup. Rinse the blender and dry it. Then add the cooked whites to it and blend them as well.
- Once the asparagus are tender, drain them and divide them over plates. Then garnish the asparagus with the crumbled yolks and whites. Chop up the fresh parsley and divide it over the asparagus. Drizzle with the melted warm butter. Finish with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Serve warm.