I made this escabeche in the morning because all it takes is about 20 minutes! I did that right before leaving for a bicycle trip that would keep us busy for the rest of the day. And it turned out to be a great idea for later on when it was time for dinner!
After our workout I only had to fling a piece of fish onto the barbecue. Slice a bit of French bread up, toast it and put this delicious marinated zucchini right next to it on the table.
What a lovely time we had. The hubs had also put a bottle of nice and crisp white wine in the fridge. Winner dinner and a gorgeous meal to sit down to after a busy day.
Pickled Zucchini Escabeche Salad
The only thing you have to do is slice the zucchini and let the grill do the rest of the work for you. There’s really no cooking involved here! I sprinkled the escabeche with a handful of crushed pistachio nuts right before serving. That adds some extra crunch to this vegetable side dish but that’s optional.
Or add other nuts if you like! You can also add pecans or pine nuts if you don’t have pistachios in your pantry.
Do you love this dish?
Then I also suggest you take a look at my Italian style fried zucchini side salad! That one takes just a little more time to prepare. However it also needs a couple of hours to marinate. Which makes it also a perfect side salad to prepare in advance.
- 1 medium fresh zucchini
- fresh herbs of your choice
- 1 medium shallot finely sliced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- olive oil
- Rinse the zucchini and pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel. Slice the zucchini finely and evenly using a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer.
- Arrange the zucchini slices on a wire rack. Depending on how large your wire rack is, you might do this in badges.
- Then grill the zucchini under a preheated grill for a couple of minutes without browning and until the water in the vegetable is drained. The zucchini slices will become slightly soft and pliable.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large baking dish and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the chopped shallot and season with some pepper and salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with the white wine vinegar and the freshly chopped herbs.
- Stir the zucchini well and then cover with a piece of cling film.
- Let the zucchini marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours. Stir regularly. Let the zucchini rest at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.