I love this fried green beans recipe!
A couple of years ago I tasted it for the first time in Hong Kong while having a street food dinner in Temple Street.
The Temple Street area is very quiet en lay back during the day. However in the evening it comes alive. The streets are buzzing. Hungry people flock together. Shop keepers open up their store fronts and put tables and chairs on the pavement.
You can find plates of life seafood everywhere.
Crab, lobster, shrimp, clams, scallops, even turtles! You just point to what you want to eat and they’ll cook it on the spot for you in tiny kitchens. But htere’s more than seafood to eat here. Different types of noodles, vegetable stir fries, fried rice, steamed dumplings.
We ordered these fried green beans every night. They were so good, drenched in that rich XO sauce. That’s a popular seafood sauce in Hong Kong and also in Chinese cuisine in general.
Hong Kong Green Beans Recipe with Homemade XO Sauce
I can buy green beans but XO sauce is harder to find around here. So because of that I started to assemble my own version at home. It contains soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, chili flakes, caster sugar, vinegar and tomato paste. And I can tell you that my concoction really works because it’s pretty close to the original taste if you ask me!
Well then, that sounds awesome! So here’s a fabulous Temple Street classic: my Hong Kong green beans recipe. A spicy fried vegetable stir fry with homemade XO sauce!
Do you love these ballsy Asian flavors?
Then also check out my Szechuan eggplants with pork mince!
My Hong Kong green beans recipe: a spicy fried vegetable stir fry with homemade XO sauce!
- 1,3 lb green beans (600 g)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ small onion
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable oil (240 ml)
1. First make the XO sauce. In a small cup add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, chili flakes, caster sugar, vinegar and tomato paste.
2. Whisk until you get a smooth sauce. Then put it aside until needed later.
3. Rinse the green beans well and trim them.
4. Pour the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok and place it over high heat until hot. Then add the green beans (in batches if necessary).
5. Fry the green beans for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the fried beans from the pan and let them drain on some kitchen paper. Add a new badge of green beans to the oil until they are all fried.
6. In the meantime peel and chop the onion and garlic. Once all the green beans are fried, discard most of the hot oil but leave just a little splash of it in the pan. Lower the heat to medium. Then add the chopped garlic and onion.
7. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the fried green beans again. Stir fry the veg for a couple of seconds. Then pour in the homemade XO sauce mixture.
8. Stir well to coat the beans evenly. Take the pan off the heat and transfer the spicy fried beans to a serving dish. Serve hot.