Do you know how to make meatballs from scratch? Or do you prefer to buy ready made and rolled meatballs at your local supermarket? No worries, there is nothing wrong with that. Are you ready to get your hands dirty in the kitchen today?
Then here is my step by step recipe for perfect meatballs!
It is a fairly basic recipe for fresh homemade meatballs. You need the most standard ingredients: fresh garlic and onion, eggs and a handful of fresh herbs.
Learn how to make meatballs for spaghetti for instance!
If you make fresh meatballs from scratch, then there is a fair chance that you will be able to brighten up your dinners even more from now on! Think of the wide range of different flavors you can choose from to spice up the meat mince!
Seasoning & Spices
You can make Asian meatballs for instance!
And use ingredients such as grated fresh ginger, lemongrass, tamarind juice, cilantro and chili pepper and so on. Or go a little more Oriental with curry powder, fresh mint, a ras el hanout spice mix, cumin, spicy bitter harissa paste, ground nutmeg and such.
The Greek even like to use white wine and thyme.
How To Make Meatballs Easy
What I got for you below is a basic recipe on how to make meatballs homemade.
But what to make meatballs with? With the most standard ingredients: fresh garlic and onion, eggs and fresh herbs.
After that you are ready to raid your spice rack and add any other flavorful ingredient or (fresh) herb you can possibly think of. It is a very easy thing to do, if you are not afraid of getting your hands dirty.
Sure you can add breadcrumbs, it is also a classic ingredient in fresh meatballs. However I don’t always have breadcrumbs in my kitchen cupboard.
If I really need breadcrumbs for a recipe, I usually make my own with a slice of bread. I toast it, blend it, let the crumbs dry for a couple of hours and blend it again.
Mixed Ground Meat
I don’t have a favorite meat mince.
My choice of mince depends on the recipe that I want to make.
Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb or veal: some supermarkets also sell them mixed. I tend to buy a mixture of half pork mince and half beef mince for spaghetti meatballs for instance.
Lamb mince for Middle Eastern dishes, like couscous.
And chicken mince for Asian recipes.
Do you like lamb mince?
Then you definitely have to try out my feta and lamb meatballs as well! Or how about my homemade masala meatball curry. More into spicy Asian curries? I have this black pepper ginger meatball recipe as well.
Are you looking for even more meatball recipes?
Then you should also check out my meatball chapter!
Or the list of meatball recipes below on this page…
Easy How To Make Meatballs Step By Step
- 14 oz meat mince (400 g)
- ½ onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 egg yolk
- a handful fresh herbs
1) Pour the meat mince in a large bowl. Peel the onion and garlic and them up finely. Also chop up the fresh herbs and add this together with the chopped garlic and onion to the meat mince. Also add the egg yolk. Season the minced meat with a good dash of pepper and salt to taste.
2) Knead the meat mince with your hands until well combined. Then tear the mince up into even portions (use a scale like I do if you prefer, mine are always about 1 oz or 28 g). That way they will cook evenly.
3) Roll the minced meat portions into neat and smooth little balls between the palms of your hands.
4) Transfer the finished meatballs to a clean plate. Cover them with a piece of cling film to prevent them from drying out and put the plate in the fridge. Let the meatballs rest in the fridge for 30 minutes before cooking. You can also freeze them for later.
Easy Recipes for Meatballs
So what to do with this batch of freshly rolled meatballs now?
Are you looking for more dinner inspiration?
Let me give you a couple of recipe ideas right here… A couple of these links go to my meatball recipes, others to meatball recipes of some of my most favorite fellow food bloggers!
Take a look and take your pick!
- how to make meatballs and spaghetti
- meatballs in the oven (Little Cooking Tips)
- how to make meatballs with ground beef (I Heart Naptime)
- meatballs in sauce
- how to make meatballs soup
- meatballs subs (Bottom Left Of The Mitten)
- how to make meatballs in crockpot (Southern Food and Fun)
- meatballs with gravy (What Dad Cooked)