Let me introduce you to this big bowl stuffed with warm winter flavors… Because you will just adore this apple and parsnip soup recipe with crunchy cinnamon croutons on top!
This lovely parsnip soup recipe is just great.
I love the surprising sweeter touch in it coming from the apple and the heat from the ginger! And then we have that fresh parsnip, another vegetable that deserves a much better reputation. Be prepared for a piping hot bowl of silky parsnip soup…
Have you ever cooked parsnips before?
Can you find them easily around where you live?
Here in Belgium you can get them practically all year round now. Thank god, I love parsnips so much!
But like I said, I have an inkling that parsnips are being pushed to the background more and more. Probably because there are far more popular vegetables than that.
And that is a pity, parsnip is a true delicacy if you ask me.
Easy Parsnip Soup Recipe with… Cinnamon Croutons?
Yes, I know.
I was just brainstorming about what topping I would use for this delicious sweet and velvety parsnip soup.
Just something to make my picture extra attractive. I first thought about preparing some poached eggs. But I needed the 2 leftover eggs in the fridge for another recipe that day.
No, definitely no cheese.
I am looking for a more exciting and extra savory flavor here.
How about mushrooms and walnuts then?
Maybe… Or how about a handful of crunchy autumn croutons flavored with cinnamon? Now that sounds like a really good idea. A cinnamon, apple, ginger and parsnip soup?
Well I don’t know about you but I think that this soup could be a winner!
And also a great Thanksgiving or Christmas starter soup as well!
Do you love parsnips?
Then you should also check out my parsnip risotto with bacon!
Easy Parsnip Soup Recipe with Cinnamon Croutons
Warm winter flavors: my apple and parsnip soup recipe with cinnamon croutons!
- 12,5 oz fresh parsnip (350 g)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (750 ml)
- 1 slice stale bread
- ¼ cup cream (60 ml)
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- ground cinnamon
1. Add the onion, garlic, butter and rosemary to a large pan.
2. Then place the pan over medium heat and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until fragrant. In the meantime peel and trim the parsnip and apple. Chop both into small bits. Then add them to the onion in the pan. Season with pepper and salt.
3. Cook the ingredients for 4 minutes. Stir regularly. Then add the stock and grated ginger.
4. Stir well again. Cover the pan and cook the vegetables over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes until soft. In the meantime prepare the cinnamon croutons. Dice the bread into even bits and gently fry them in some butter until golden.
5. In the end sprinkle them with a pinch of cinnamon and stir. Then take the pan off the heat and let the croutons cool a little. Blend or mix the soup until it is very smooth.
6. Then add cream to taste.
7. Stir and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Scoop the parsnip soup into large bowl. Top with the cinnamon croutons. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and some freshly ground black pepper. Serve the soup piping hot.