Poppy Seed Cake Recipe with Orange Blossom
You can add a couple of spoonfuls of grated orange zest instead of orange blossom water. The taste will be different but you’ll still get that zesty and fragrant flower flavor.
Love cakes with poppy seeds? Then also check out my apple and cardamom cake!
- 1 ½ oz poppy seeds (45 g)
- 5,5 oz plain flour (155 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5,5 oz unsalted butter (155 g)
- 6 oz caster sugar (170 g)
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water or orange zest
- 3 large eggs
- Transfer the butter to a small saucepan and add the poppy seeds. Place the pan over medium-low heat and let the butter melt gently. Once melted, take it off the heat and let it cool until lukewarm.
In the meantime pour the plain flour, caster sugar, baking powder and a little pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the 3 eggs.
Stir the ingredients well into a smooth batter. Add the orange blossom water (this is optional). Pour in the lukewarm melted butter and poppy seed mixture.
- Whisk the ingredients well until you get a smooth cake batter and pour it in a buttered cake tin.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for 40 minutes. Remove the cake from the hot oven and let it cool a little in its tin. Cut the cake up into squares, sprinkle with some icing sugar if you like and serve lukewarm.