Here’s a lush almond custard recipe topped off with sweet cherries! I have a weakness for easy dessert recipes that you can easily prepare some time in advance. I love make ahead desserts!
Dessert dummy strikes again with this almond custard recipe!
I’m always on the lookout for easy desserts recipes that can be prepared some time in advance. No stress at the table! I prefer staying with my guests instead of locking myself up in the kitchen after the main course.
This egg and almond custard is perfect for this.
Easy Almond Custard Recipe
Eggs, milk and sugar.
Simple as that.
And I must say kids especially love it! The cherry topping is an attempt to make it look a bit more glamorous. You can replace the cherries by any other fruit. Oranges or strawberries for example look great as well.
Only make sure to buy extra juice to complete the topping.
Don’t serve the custard stone cold. It kills the beautiful flavors. Take the glasses out of the fridge during the main course and leave them at room temperature for half an hour.
Do you love make ahead desserts with gelatin?
Then also check out my lemon panna cotta!
Easy Cherry & Almond CustardRecipe
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cup whole milk (360 ml)
- 3,5 oz caster sugar (100 g)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 12 canned cherries
- ½ cup cherry juice (120 ml)
- 2 120 ml gelatin
1) Warm the milk up over medium heat.
2) In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks, caster sugar, almond meal, almond extract and the cornstarch.
3) When the milk starts boiling, stir in the yolk mixture. Turn the heat low. Whisk firmly for a few minutes until the custard mixture starts to thicken.
4) Pour the custard into glasses. Put a layer of plastic wrap on surface to prevent the top from drying out and set aside.
5) Soak the gelatin in cold water.
6) Heat the cherry juice over medium heat. Squeeze the gelatin to remove most of the water.
7) Stir it into the cherry juice until dissolved. Place the cherries on top of the cooled custard. Finish with a layer of cherry juice.
8) Chill the custard in the fridge for at least 5 hours.