Creamy classic French apple cider chicken: this one is a great chicken dinner. How I like the fresh apple flavor and the calvados in this cream sauce.
This apple cider chicken dish is another classic in my kitchen!
In French it is called: poulet au cider et aux pommes.
And it is also a chicken recipe that I have made numerous times before. Not sure where I first came across this recipe. I am normally not a huge fan of fruits in savory main courses.
But this combination right here really works so well together.
Cream and Apples
How I like the combination of the fresh apple flavor and then that calvados in this cream sauce.
Make sure to add that pinch of nutmeg to it as well.
The nutmeg goes extremely well here with all the other flavors.
Apples and cream in a savory dish, try it out.
You will love it!
Some apples are perfect to cook with.
Others will just get very mushy.
That is why I used a rennet apple in this cider chicken recipe.
Rennet apples are great for cooking because they keep their shape.
Breton Apple Cider Chicken (French Recipe)
Whatever you so: use a good quality chicken breast for this recipe.
I have even made this chicken in cider with chicken thighs before.
A good quality chicken will surely add to the elegancy and finesse of this dish. Don’t overcook it either. Keep the chicken juicy on the inside. Even a good cream sauce can’t repair dry chicken meat.
I used fresh chives for this dish but I usually go for fresh tarragon if I have some in my garden.
Apples and tarragon, a perfect match for each other!
Bon appétit mes amis, enjoy!
Do you love cooking with apple cider?
Then you should also check my Spanish salmon in cider with ham!
Easy French Apple Cider Chicken Recipe
French apple cider chicken: this one is a great chicken dinner. How I like the fresh apple flavor and the calvados in this cream sauce.
- 2 fresh chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 rennet apples
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium garlic clove
- ½ cup apple cider (120 ml)
- ⅔ cup cream (160 ml)
- 2 tbsp calvados
- 3 tbsp fresh chives chopped finely
- Peel and chop up the garlic clove and the yellow onion. Add the unsalted butter to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the chopped garlic and onion.
Stir a little and cook for 3 minutes. In the meantime chop the rennet apple into quarters. Core them but leave the skins on. Then chop them up into smaller bits and add them to the onion in the pan. Season with a little nutmeg, pepper and salt.
Stir again and cook for another 2 minutes. Then place the chicken breasts on top. Pour in the apple cider and calvados.
- Put a lid on the pan and bring the chicken to a boil. Then turn the heat low and simmer the chicken in the cider for about 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through. Turn the chicken breasts somewhere halfway through cooking time. After that pour in the cream.
- Stir and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. The apples should be soft and the cider sauce should be very creamy. Check the seasoning and add extra nytmeg, pepper and salt to taste if necessary. Stir in the freshly chopped chives. Put the tender chicken breasts onto warm deep plates. Top with the cooked onion and apples and drizzle with the remaining cider cream sauce. Serve hot.