Do you like avocados?
However I wasn’t a fan of them for a long time. I had tasted avocados in Belgium before. But I have to admit that those we pretty much tasteless and unpleasant to eat. I didn’t know what everyone else was going crazy over avocados. Not my cup of tea.
Up until the moment that I moved to Spain.
And I gave them another go. Glad I did, because the ones here are absolutely to die for. They are creamy, rich, packed with flavor. I could eat them just like that, during the afternoon as a snack. Delicious!
So it’s about lunch time here and I crave something other than bread, sandwiches, cold cuts, cheese or soup today. And because I see one ripe avocado in my pantry, and half a package of fresh feta cheese. Oh here’s a pomegranate as well, in goes the pomegranate!
I’m thinking of making a gorgeous avocado feta lunch salad from scratch today!
Simple Avocado Feta Lunch Salad
The guacamole is a very simple one: just blend the ripe avocado quickly with a handful of fresh cilantro, mint, ground cumin and olive oil. Nothing fancy.
Then dice the marinated feta cheese up and sprinkle it on top of the avocado spread… sweet pomegranate seeds on top. Wow, loved every scoop of it! Serve it with freshly grilled (garlic) bread! You will love this salad because it’s got such great flavors!
Do you love feta cheese?
Then also check out my feta dip with roasted peppers and mint! Feta cheese and bell peppers are such a great match, it just works great if you ask me because I combine those two ingredients quite often.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 oz feta cheese (55 g)
- good quality olive oil
- ½ fresh pomegranate
- a handful fresh mint
- a handful fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- dried herbs
- Place the feta cheese in a small baking dish or in a small plastic container and sprinkle with the dried herbs, a good splash of olive oil and a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Cover with cling film and let the feta cheese marinate for 30 minutes. In the meantime slice the avocado in a half, peel it and remove the pit. Then chop the avocado meat up roughly. Add it to a clean blender together with the fresh mint and cilantro, the ground cumin and 6 tablespoons of olive oil. Also season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Blend well until you get a smooth paste. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary.
- Scoop the avocado dip onto a large serving plate or large bowl. Open up the pomegranate and remove half of the red seeds.
- Then slice the marinated feta cheese into little cubes and sprinkle them on top of the avocado dip. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds also. Drizzle with the remaining feta cheese marinade. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt. Finish with extra fresh cilantro and mint leaves. Serve with nachos or bread.