Try out my healthy vegetable pasta sauce with an interesting twist. This creamy avocado pesto spaghetti with cilantro is so addictive! Are you an avocado fan? You just have to try this one out, believe me!
Are you a fan of avocados?
I love avocados!
And therefore I usually buy quite a few of those little green gems every week. But sometimes meal plans don’t turn out the way you planned them to go. So very often they are ripe before I can eat them.
Besides, the hubs isn’t too fond of avocados and unless I cook a meal with them, he won’t eat them.
Do you often have ripe to almost overripe avocados in your pantry?
We all know that feeling, right. That leftover avocado is like a ticking time bomb that could go off at any time. Quite annoying, because you don’t want them to spoil.
More Than Guacamole
But here’s the good news: a classic guacamole isn’t the only way out here because you can make quite a couple of other recipes with it! So let’s turn them into an easy dinner with this avocado pesto spaghetti this time then!
How does that sound to you?
Avocado Pesto Spaghetti
The greatest thing here is that you can use this pesto sauce hot or cold. You decide. I served it for dinner but it tastes just as great in a cold pasta salad and one you can also take with you in your lunchbox.
The fresh cilantro is a beautiful match for the avocado. I might even add some mint as well next time to make it extra fresh.
Do you need another recipe to use leftover ripe avocados in?
Did you know that you can add them to a soup instead of butter or cream? Avocados make soups so creamy! Just take a look at my leek and avocado soup with crunchy bacon!
Best Avocado Pesto Spaghetti Recipe
- 9 oz dry spaghetti (250 g)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- a handful fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse the fresh cilantro well, let it dry on a clean kitchen towel and then chop it up roughly. Add the cilantro to a blender.
- Blend until finely chopped. Then slice the avocado in half and peel it. Chop the soft meat up roughly and add it to the cilantro in the blender.
- Blend well until you get a smooth paste. Add the olive oil, 3 tablespoons of cold water, the lemon juice, the garlic powder and the ground coriander. Then season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Blend the ingredients into a very smooth paste. Add some extra water if you find it too thick. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper, salt, lemon juice or garlic powder to taste if necessary.
- Put the avocado pesto aside for now. Fill a high and large pan with water and season with some salt. Place the pan over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta.
- Cook it until al dente and drain it (keep half a glass of the cooking liquid aside). Then transfer the pasta to the pan again and drizzle with the avocado pesto.
- Stir well. Add some of the hot cooking liquid if the pasta and pesto become too dry. Then divide the pasta between plates and serve.