Are you looking for a surprising rice dessert? Then do try this creamy sweet avocado rice pudding with crushed pistachios and fresh mint!
This dessert might seem a little unusual and odd maybe at first.
And I can’t deny that.
It does sound a bit off the wall, you are right.
But if you love avocados, then you will also love this creamy avocado rice pudding! And you can make it a vegan one even by replacing the cream by coconut or almond milk.
Arroz con Leche
Arroz con leche is a popular dessert here in Spain and in Latin America.
You can find it in every supermarket, in the yogurt department. Ready made rice pudding. Only needs a couple of minutes in the microwave. But honestly I prefer to make you own rice pudding from scratch.
Just because it is so easy to make. And it tastes much better if you ask me. Check out my Belgian rice pie by the way!
Are you familiar with arroz con leche? I make it quite often actually, I love it even for breakfast. It’s sugary and filling, and goes very well with a cup of coffee.
But then what about the avocados in this rice pudding?
Avocado Rice Pudding
The avocados are so flavorful and tasty here in Spain.
However I always seem to be making savory dips, soups and salads with them. But one day I forced myself to kind of think out of the box and see what dessert I could whip up using a very ripe avocado.
It’s lovely, very creamy!
Don’t make the rice pudding too dry or it will become too heavy on the stomach. Add some extra cream in the end if necessary. The crushed pistachios are there for extra crunch and bite.
I prefer to serve the rice pudding lukewarm, which brings out the best avocado flavor!
Do you love sweet avocado recipes?
Then also check out my avocado bread pudding!
- 3,5 oz rice (100 g)
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1 ¼ cup cream (300 ml), or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- a handful pistachio nuts crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chopped finely
- ground cinnamon
- Slice the avocado in half, then remove the seed and peel the skin off or use a tablespoon to scoop out the soft avocado meat. Add it to a large saucepan and pour in the cream (or coconut milk).
- Stir and then pour in the caster sugar.
- Place the pan over medium heat and bring the cream or coconut milk to a gentle simmer. Stir very regularly until the avocado has kind of fallen apart. Then pour in the rice and season with a tiny pinch of salt and cinnamon.
- Stir the ingredients well and put a lid on the pan. Simmer the rice for 12 to 15 minutes or until soft. The rice pudding will become quite sticky, make sure it doesn't burn.
- In the end take the pan off the heat and then add the crushed salted pistachios and the freshly chopped mint.
- Stir well and check the seasoning. Add extra sugar to taste if necessary. Scoop the rice pudding into bowls and serve lukewarm.