This bacon frittata is a wonderful way to use leftover cooked potatoes and turn it into another great dinner. Once the bacon is cooked and you add the diced potatoes and the beaten egg, just cover it and pop the whole lot into a hot oven. Sprinkle the frittata with some grated cheese, then bake it in a hot oven until you get a golden crust on top and you’re done. Not a lot of cooking involved here!
Bacon Frittata with Potatoes
Expect something between a Spanish tortilla and a quiche. Make sure the pan you’re using can stand oven temperatures. if not just transfer the cooked bacon and potato mixture in a large baking dish, add the beaten eggs, stir, cover and put it in the oven.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 lbs cooked potatoes (900 g)
- 9 oz salted bacon (250 g), diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a handful parmesan cheese grated
- a handful fresh basil chopped
Add the salted bacon to a large non-stick pan (one that you can put in the oven) and place it over medium heat. Season with a little sprinkle of pepper.
Don’t add any butter or oil to the bacon. The melted bacon fat is enough to cook it. Stir regularly and gently fry for 4 to 5 minutes until the bacon is cooked through. In the meantime dice the cooked potatoes. Then add them to the cooked bacon in the pan.
Stir well and cook for 3 more minutes. Break the eggs in a medium mixing bowl and season with a little pinch of pepper and salt.
Beat the eggs for a minute until foamy. Add the chopped basil and olive oil to the potatoes and the bacon in the pan.
Stir well and then add the beaten eggs.
- Take the potatoes off the heat and stir well. Divide the potatoes and bacon evenly over the eggs. Cover the pan with a sheet of tinfoil.
Bake the frittata in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 30 minutes. Then remove the pan (careful, it's hot) and peel away the tinfoil. Sprinkle the top of the frittata with the grated cheese.
- Put the frittata in the hot oven for another 10 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted. Remove the frittata from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes. Then cut it up into wedges and serve.