Are you fond of chicken legs and thighs just like me? Then you definitely need to try out these oven roast baked chicken legs with olives, carrots and lemon…
So what is your favorite cut of chicken?
I would have to say chicken wings.
But chicken legs definitely come second! That meat on a chicken leg is so soft and juicy. And it is totally different than chicken breast! What is not to love about baked chicken legs for dinner?
They are so easy to prepare.
I usually have a batch of chicken legs in my freezer.
That is because they are often on sale in my supermarket.
Four legs for less than 2 euros. It’s mine. Chicken legs don’t only make a great dinner, like these baked chicken legs below. But I often use them to make an Asian style bowl of ramen soup.
Easy Baked Chicken Legs with Roast Lemon & Carrots
I boil the legs to make a fatty broth, then shred the chicken meat up and add it back to the broth with noodles and a bunch of other vegetables and fresh herbs. Season with a tad of chili flakes, fish sauce and lime juice.
Another soup I also make with chicken legs is Greek avgolemono with shredded chicken, rice, lemon and egg yolks!
I kept my baked chicken legs dish quite simple this time.
I did make my own chicken rub. Then the remaining ingredients got there after cleaning out my fridge that day: carrots, lemon, onions, garlic and olives.
Don’t peel the garlic cloves.
Because if you peel and slice them us, then they will burn while cooking. To avoid that, keep the cloves wrapped in their skins and let them become soft and smooth in one piece. I added 6 cloves, but if you are not too fond of garlic you can add less or even leave them out.
There is garlic powder in the chicken rub anyway.
Easy Baked Chicken Legs Recipe
Baked chicken legs with olives, carrots and lemon!
- 2 fresh chicken legs
- 4 small fresh carrots
- 1 small onion
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 2 thick slices fresh lemon
- a handful black olives
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
1) Make the chicken rub: combine the garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, oregano and season with a good dash of pepper and salt.
2) Place the chicken legs in a large oven dish and coat them on both sides with the olive oil. Then sprinkle with the rub.
3) Peel the carrots and onion. Slice the carrot into sticks, chop the onion into quarters. Don’t peel the garlic.
4) Transfer the seasoned chicken legs to a plate for now. Add the onion, carrots, lemon slices and garlic cloves to the baking dish. Season with pepper and salt. Also add half a cup (120 ml) of water.
5) Place the chicken legs on top of the vegetables. Cover with tinfoil.
6) Put the dish in a preheated oven at 300°F (150°C) for an hour. Then remove the dish and turn the heat up to 425°F (220°C). In the meantime remove the tinfoil and baste the chicken legs with the juices in the baking dish. Also add the olives.
7) Then put the dish back into the hot oven for another 35 to 40 minutes. At the end remove the chicken again and let it rest for another 10 minutes at room temperature.
8) Then put the chicken legs onto plates and add the vegetables. Drizzle with the remaining sauce and serve.