Try out my delicious freshly baked haddock recipe! The addiction of pickled capers, garlic, fresh lemon juice and a simple sprinkle of olive oil makes it just perfect.
Here we go!
I kept this very simple baked haddock recipe in the back of my mind for quite some time.
The reasons why it took me so long to finally prepare it?
The rainy weather around here that discourages everyone to step outside and go for a stroll and visit the fishmonger. And also the high prices for fresh fish that are pretty unfair sometimes for what you get.
Even for cheaper fish like haddock.
But after a couple of days inside I really had to do some shopping in town because my pantry and fridge were nearly empty. No escaping anymore. So I planned to get a few groceries at the Saturday morning farmer’s market in town.
Baked Haddock Recipe
My favorite fishmonger there is Spiessens.
He provides us once a week with a gorgeous collection of very cheap to more expensive fishies. Out of this week’s catch I gladly selected a couple of fresh baby haddocks. So I was finally able to prepare that baked haddock dinner at home.
I must say that I did well by not adding a lot of other ingredients to it.
Haddock has a very subtle flavor. So you don’t need to add big flavors at all. I decided to use light and fresh ingredients such as pickled capers, garlic, fresh lemon juice and a simple sprinkle of olive oil.
Perfectly light, mediterranean and healthy.
Best side dish? I like to serve it with pasta or a baked potato. And some minty green peas!
Are you looking for a winter version of this haddock?
Then also check out my oven baked haddock wrapped in ham and served on a bed of watercress mashed potatoes!
- 4 fresh haddock fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic clove chopped
- 1 tbsp capers in brine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Rinse the fish and pat it dry with kitchen paper. Season the fillets on both sides with pepper and salt
- Heat the olive oil a non-stick pan.
- Bake the fish skin side down in the hot oil for 2 minutes. Turn the fish and bake them for another 2 minutes on the other side. Remove the haddock and put it onto plates.
- Put the pan back on the stove. Add the garlic and season with some pepper and salt. Fry the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the capers and lemon juice. Stir and remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the lemon sauce on top of the cooked haddock fillets. Serve immediately.