Ra-tata-Thai today! Look at this Thai basil chicken recipe… My local supermarket sometimes has fresh Thai basil for sale but every time I spot it, I have difficulty changing my week’s menu. And when I plan on making Thai basil chicken, there’s no basil to be found. As usual.
Basil Chicken Recipe (Thai Style)
But this time I got lucky. Bought the stuff and the remaining ingredients that go into this recipe. There you go, Thai basil chicken. I added some diced tomato to it to add extra color but you can leave that out.
What if you can’t find any Thai basil? If you ask me there’s not a perfect substitute for it. Italian basil is a big no no. Would taste great I’m sure but this has nothing to see with its Thai cousin…
Love cooking Thai? Then also check out my Thai beef salad!
- 10,5 oz chicken mince (300 g)
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp hot chili sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- a handful fresh Thai basil
- 1 small fresh tomato diced finely (optional)
- vegetable oil
- Peel the red onion and the garlic clove. Chop both up finely. Pour a splash of the vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and onion.
- Stir fry the garlic and onion for a minute. Then crumble the chicken mince up a little and add it to the hot pan.
- Bake the chicken mince for about 4 to 5 minutes until browned a little and cooked through. Break up any big mince lumps as you keep on stirring it. Then add the freshly grated ginger, the soy sauce, the fish sauce, the palm sugar and the hot sauce.
- Stir the chicken mince well again and cook for another 2 minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and stir in the fresh Thai basil.
- Stir the chicken until the basil is fully soft and smooth. This is also them moment to add the diced tomato if you are using it (optional). Check the seasoning and add more soy sauce, hot chili sauce or fish sauce to taste if necessary. Scoop the basil chicken into bowls, add cooked rice to it and serve hot.