Here is my delicious apple beignet recipe: light pan fried apple beignets coated with a crispy rice batter… What a crunchy treat!
And a lovely rainy weekend cooking challenge!
The idea to make these apple beignets with a rice batter comes from a Thai fried bananas recipe.
After making dessert at the end of our Thai cooking lesson it struck me that once fried the batter coat was extremely crunchy and unbelievably light.
Not at all the oily dough sponge I’m used to.
Easy Beignet Recipe with Fresh Apples
The original recipe asks for rice flour but I didn’t feel like buying some.
I just know that it would result in yet another opened bag of special flour (I hardly use) in my cupboard. So I tried this one: soak a handful of rice in little water and blend it.
Same result and much easier!
I chose risotto rice for the batter for this apple beignet recipe time.
Just because it is somewhat stickier than your average basmati rice. It keeps the dough thick and very light as well. It’s a healthy substitute for the classic egg, cream or beer batter.
Also check out my nacho batter prawns!
Easy Crispy Apple Beignet Recipe
Here is my apple beignet recipe then: healthy pan fried apple beignets coated with a crispy rice batter... What a crunchy treat!
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 4,5 oz risotto rice (125 g)
- ½ cup water (120 ml)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup frying oil (80 ml)
- icing sugar
- Soak the rice in the water for 1 hour.
- Then process water and rice into a slightly runny batter that coats the back of a spoon easily. Add the plain flour, brown sugar and a pinch of salt.
Pulse again. Then add more water if the batter is too thick. If the batter is too watery, add extra flour and pulse again until you get the right consistency. In the end stir in the sesame seeds (don't process the seeds).
- Peel the apples. Then cut both horizontally into 3 thick slices. Remove the core and seeds. Heat the oil in a large pan. Dredge the apple slices in the rice batter.
- Add the apple to the hot frying oil.
- Brown on one side for 2 minutes until nicely golden. Flip it over and brown the other side.
- Let the apple beignets drain quickly on kitchen paper. Then transfer them onto plates. Sprinkle with the powder sugar and serve hot.