Love biscuits and gravy? Then you will adore this biscuits and gravy casserole! It is a hearty and delicious dish that combines flaky biscuits, creamy gravy, savory sausage and cheesy goodness.
Oh, and to make it extra scrumptious…
I love to add chopped fried chicken and fried eggs as well! I once ate this version in a Denny’s in LA and I loved it right away.
This biscuits and gravy casserole is perfect for breakfast, brunch and dinner.
And the best part is, it is super easy to make.
You only need a few ingredients and a baking dish. Let me show you how to make the best biscuits and gravy casserole ever!
Trust me, you will love it.
Biscuits and what?
Biscuits and gravy is a popular dish in American cuisine, particularly in the Southern United States.
It typically consists of soft, flaky biscuits served with a savory gravy made from pan drippings, meat (often sausage), flour, milk or cream, and seasonings.
The origin of biscuits and gravy can be traced back to the traditional English dish known as “biscuits and gravy,” which is a different preparation altogether. In England, biscuits are what Americans would call cookies, and the gravy refers to a type of meat-based sauce.
However, the American version of biscuits and gravy evolved separately, influenced by various regional cooking styles and ingredients.
It became especially popular in the Southern United States, where biscuits were a staple food, and gravy was a way to make a filling and flavorful sauce using available ingredients.
The dish gained prominence in the United States during the 19th century, and it has remained a beloved comfort food in Southern cuisine ever since.
Biscuits and gravy is often enjoyed as a hearty breakfast or brunch item, but it can also be served as a main course during other meals.
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
Try my recipe for the best biscuits and gravy casserole ever… It is a hearty and delicious dish that is just perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas breakfast, brunch or dinner.
Ingredients for 6 people
To make the casserole, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 can of refrigerated biscuit dough (or homemade if you prefer)
- 1 lb (450 g) of breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup (30 g) of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (960 ml) of whole milk
- 2 cups (240 g) of shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fried chicken (optional)
- fried eggs (optional)
- salt and pepper
You also need a 9×13 inch baking dish, a skillet, a whisk and a measuring cup.
Making this casserole is very simple. Just follow these steps.
Make the biscuits and gravy
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F and spray your baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cut each biscuit into four pieces and arrange them evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
3. Bake the biscuits for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
4. In the meantime, cook the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks. Drain the excess fat and set aside.
5. In the same skillet, whisk in the flour and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
6. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the casserole
7. Spoon the sausage over the biscuits (add the chopped fried chicken – optional) and pour the gravy over the sausage.
8. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for another 15 minutes or until bubbly and melted.
9. Scoop portions of biscuits and gravy onto plates. Serve with a fried egg on top like I love to do and enjoy!
Homemade or store-bought biscuit dough?
There are several popular brands known for selling pre-made biscuit dough in the United States.
Some well-known brands include Pillsbury, Annie’s Homegrown, Immaculate Baking Company and Great Value (Walmart brand). These brands offer a variety of biscuit dough options, including refrigerated and frozen versions.
Homemade biscuit dough can often provide a fresher and more personalized result. If you have the time and inclination, making your own biscuit dough from scratch allows you to control the ingredients and customize the flavor and texture to your liking. There are countless recipes available online that provide step-by-step instructions for making homemade biscuit dough.
And I love Amanda’s homemade biscuit recipe to make my biscuits and gravy casserole!
Why You Will Love This Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
Because it is:
- easy to make: you don’t need any fancy skills or equipment to make this casserole, it is a one-dish wonder that anyone can make.
- versatile: you can customize this casserole to your liking, use different kinds of cheese, add veggies, or spice it up with hot sauce – or make it ahead of time and reheat it
- comforting: there is nothing like a warm and cozy casserole to start or end your day because it is filling and satisfying
- delicious and mouthwatering: this biscuits and gravy casserole is simply scrumptious – soft and fluffy biscuits, creamy and rich gravy, savory and spicy sausage, gooey and melty cheese…
Is this biscuits and gravy casserole healthy?
My biscuits and gravy casserole is a delicious comfort food…
But it is generally not considered a healthy option due to its high calorie, fat, and sodium content. The biscuits are typically made with flour, butter or shortening, and sometimes include added sugar, which contributes to their calorie and fat content.
The gravy is often made with pan drippings, which can be high in fat, and it is thickened with flour and made creamy with milk or cream.
The high calorie, sodium and fat content of this biscuits and gravy casserole makes it a heavy meal, consuming it regularly in large portions may contribute to weight gain and increased risk of certain health issues.
That being said, enjoying biscuits and gravy occasionally as part of a balanced diet is fine.
If you are looking to make it a bit healthier, there are some modifications you can consider, such as using whole wheat flour for the biscuits, opting for leaner meats or vegetarian alternatives, and using low-fat milk or alternative dairy products to reduce the fat content of the gravy.
Ultimately, it is important to be mindful of portion sizes and balance the rest of your diet with nutrient-dense foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins.
So what are you waiting for?
Grab all your necessary ingredients and make this biscuits and gravy casserole today.
And do try my super lush and comforting version with fried chicken and eggs…
You won’t regret it!