This is a cool soup: my German bread soup recipe! It’s a hearty onion broth with buttery golden croutons swimming in it: and it’s damn delicious and so easy to make!
Do you have some old bread in your pantry? Then this is the perfect recipe to make with it!
The reason that I like recipes with leftovers, is that I hate throwing away food.
It’s such a waste of money! So I always try to come up with ways to turn them into something not only edible but also cool and creative!
Leftover Bread & Croutons
Bread for instance is one thing that sometimes becomes dry as old boots before you can make sandwiches with it. Don’t get rid of it! I usually make croutons with it for a salad. This time those croutons ended up in a lovely soup.
I made this bread soup recipe after we returned from a city trip to Germany.
This Fränkische Brotsuppe was on the lunch menu in a cozy little pub over there. And it sounded like the best way to soothe our frozen fingers and ever growling stomach.
It turned out to be the best decision of the day!
Easy German Bread Soup Recipe
The plump waitress placed a huge bowl on our table.
Filled to the brim with one of the strongest onion broths we’ve ever tasted. And on top of it sat a whole army of crunchy golden bread soldiers baked in butter…
OK, the croutons don’t stay that crunchy for long once they start soaking up that gorgeous salty broth. But what the heck, I don’t care.
This bread soup recipe is warm, filling, buttery, strong, flavorful… And here’s yet another great idea to use all your leftover stale bread!
Are you looking for more old bread recipes?
Then also check out my Spanish cold almond soup!
Or how about my leftover bread pancakes!
Easy German Bread Soup Recipe
This is a cool soup: my German bread soup recipe! It's a hearty onion broth with buttery golden croutons: damn delicious so easy!
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 3,5 oz stale bread (100 g)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock (600 ml)
- fresh chives chopped
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Add half of the butter to a high pan and place it over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Gently cook the onion and garlic in the butter for 3 to 4 minutes. In the meantime add the rest of the butter to another large non-stick pan and place it over medium-high heat. Dice the stale bread into bite-size pieces and add them to the melting butter in the pan. Add a tiny pinch of salt as well.
- Stirfry the bread constantly for 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown on all sides. Turn the heat lower if necessary.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the bread croutons to a cold plate. Add the vegetable broth to the cooked onion and garlic in the pan.
- Bring it to a rolling boil. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary.
- Add the baked bread croutons to the soup.
- Scoop the bread soup immediately in bowls. Sprinkle with some freshly chopped chives and a last dash of pepper to taste. Serve hot.