Have you ever thought of adding spices to cakes? It might sound a bit unusual but it is worth giving it a try though! Do try this cardamom cake with apples and see how much flavor spices can add to cakes!
Adding spices to desserts?
And no, I am not talking about the usual pinch of ground cinnamon or nutmeg here. Try this apple and cardamom cake! You will be surprised how well fresh apple and that cardamom flavor go together.
Not to mention the smell that fills your entire kitchen when that cake is baking in the oven!
I added the poppy seeds just to give this cake an extra touch.
The seeds give the cake crunch and an even more appetizing look.
Easy Recipe for Cardamom Cake with Apples
The cardamom cake batter in the end is very thick but that is totally normal.
If the top of the cake looks a little raw to you after baking, it is possible but there is nothing wrong with it. Just pop the cake under a hot grill for another minute to give it a more golden color.
Keep an eye on it though or the apple chunks on top will be charred before you know it.
I didn’t have any ground cardamom in my pantry that day, only cardamom pods.
If that is the case in your kitchen as well: that should not be a problem at all.
Here is what I did.
I took 5 pods and removed the seeds.
Then I dry roasted the seeds in a pan for 3 minutes (this will release extra flavor afterwards), transferred them to a pestle and started grinding them into a very fine dust.
There you go.
Ready in minutes.
Cardamom Coffee Cake
Here is another delicious cardamom coffee cake…
What do you think of this cardamom coffee cake by Dave!
Or how about a cardamom carrot cake?
Check out Donal Skehan’s gorgeous cardamom carrot cake!
Do you like baking and sweet treats with apples and a special ingredient?
Then you should also take a look at my bread pudding recipe with apples and ginger!
Enjoy my cardamom apple cake in the meantime…
Easy Apple & Cardamom Cake Recipe
Have you ever thought of adding spices to cakes? Then try this cardamom cake with apples and see how much flavor spices can add to cakes!
- 1 medium apple
- 4,5 oz plain flour (125 g)
- 2 oz unsalted butter (55 g), very soft at room temperature
- ½ cup caster sugar (110 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 small egg
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- Add the soft butter and caster sugar to a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir well until you get a creamy mixture. The sugar should fully be incorporated in the soft butter. Then add the egg.
- Stir well again. Then add the milk, the plain flour and baking powder. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Stir well into a thick batter. Sprinkle with the poppy seeds and the ground cardamom.
- Stir the batter again. Core the apple and cut it up into small chunks. You can peel the apple if you prefer, I left the skin on. Then add the apple chunks to the batter (leave some for garnish).
- Stir well again. Butter a spring form tin and lightly sprinkle the sides with plain flour. Then scoop the batter in it and garnish with extra chunks if you kept some aside. Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down fully in its tin. Slice it up and serve.